Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

DirecTV HR21 Clock Time

Anybody ever use the DirecTV receivers as a source for a clock to set the master?
I see that the current time and date is availabel on teh protocol but I don't have the box infront of me to see what the output actually is.

I am assuming that this is fairly accurate as compared to pulling it in online somewhere.

And - does the unit adjust for Daylight/time zone/ whatever? and present the time as it actually is in the area the receiver is in?

Comments

• Options
    truetrue Posts: 307
    Most NTP servers are very accurate. In the default configuration, they'll talk amongst themselves to rule out bad time sources.

To answer your question directly - no, I haven't used a DirecTV as a time source. I guess I could see the point if you were not on a network with internet or a local time server. According to the protocol spec, the time returned is in UTC. However, details state the provided data is "conditioned by time zone and daylight savings settings" which may mean that it doesn't actually return UTC time. It does not return an offset, so you'd have to look and see. Regardless, one would need to convert this data and likely have DST offset applied to be useful.
  • Options
    JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    true wrote: »
    Most NTP servers are very accurate. In the default configuration, they'll talk amongst themselves to rule out bad time sources.

To answer your question directly - no, I haven't used a DirecTV as a time source. I guess I could see the point if you were not on a network with internet.

Yeah - this is corporate with no access to the corporate network or internet