Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

5 Things About You

http://www.cepro.com/article/36_home_automation_cos_what_you_might_not_know/

I particularly find numbers one through three interesting, especially number three.

Let the discussions begin . . .

Comments

• mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    carptron wrote:
    4. Only end-to-end whole-house control solution
    Not only does this not make any sense, it is not 5 words. Give me a friggin break. Also :-| at the companies that couldn't come up with 5 things.
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    Can AMX appoint someone responsible for marketing?

This is a reasonable request from a reasonably angry guy.

When you are asked for commentary by a flimsy but widely distributed piece of fluff like CEPro, could you please at least pause, draw breath, think, and then give something back that is vaguely in line with the prices your dealers are expected to charge their customers? Who gave those 5 beauties? Goods-in? The guys who clean the loos?

Oh well, at least we've got the iPad and we don't need custom coding....

Thanks Houston, you continue to make my job so much easier.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    iainshaw wrote: »
    Thanks Houston...
    It's Dallas . . . :D

But really, I think the list is a preview as to stuff that we should expect, maybe not really what's currently available. I've got a feeling everyone will be whistling a different tune later this year and put their counterpart to cheese away. ;)
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    That article is just cheap journalism & poor editing!

As for AMX
    1. Obama uses in White House
    2. Control from iPod or iPad
    3. Configure without any custom code
    4. Distributed audio starts at $5,000
    5. Our thermostat shows weather forecast

1. Does he or does someone do it for him?
    2. How & When?
    3. Is that a good thing for a custom solution?
    4. If you home matches our specification and the dealer goes hungry
    5. But is it today's?

It wouldn't be the first choice suggestions to sell the brand, but never mind the co's that couldn't make 5 points, what about Colorado vNet!
    Communications Manager?

It's not like AMX manages 100's of brands like P&G or Unilever. How does that poor communication get out of the door. Is no-one responsible for the PR / Marketing output that comes out of AMX?

Sorry for getting the wrong city. Bizarre that considering how close I feel to them...
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Two sayings come to mind in response to this.

Saying 1) "I'd love to beleive what you're saying but your actions are screaming so loud I cannot hear you."

Saying 2) "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

The company's actions do not match their stated goals. Do they really want to stay in the Resi market? I just cannot beleive they do based upon the past 18 months. I just don't know what to think any more.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I imagine "no custom code" is a reference to AMX.home. Though that only works under some very narrow circumstances. Definitely someone is blowing rainbows ...
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    Heres something in regards to number 2 if you already haven't noticed it.. Not sure if I believe it or not though.. They just posted it at the end of the month, and it still isn't out though. Does have the same AMX web theme and design.

http://www.touchpanelcontrol.com/
  • TonyAngeloTonyAngelo Posts: 315
    ryanww wrote: »
    Heres something in regards to number 2 if you already haven't noticed it.. Not sure if I believe it or not though.. They just posted it at the end of the month, and it still isn't out though. Does have the same AMX web theme and design.

Might as well be waiting for Godot.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I was thinking that no custom code might refer to Tango stand-alone, but I have only briefly skimmed the Tango manual.

I also briefly browsed the CEPro article and I don't think that AMX completely missed the ball on this one. Sure, I could go through and pick things apart and find a problem with each statement, but that is because I have intimate knowledge of AMX gear and I am thinking about all of the negatives. People that casually read this are going to be a lot less critical and if they are intrigued,they will want to learn more about AMX and that seems like a marketing win to me.

Look at the bright side... at least AMX is in the list :)

Jeff
    People that casually read this are going to be a lot less critical and if they are intrigued,they will want to learn more about AMX and that seems like a marketing win to me.

And then they'll find out it's not true. Gosh, what a marketing triumph that will be...

I know a lot of you guys on here are coders, and I know you're not all resi dealers. But I own the business I work in and I work in the residential sector as an AMX dealer and I'm disgusted. JJames, i'm not interested in later in the year. I'm interested in clear, concise and truthful communication now. I'm selling jobs I'll be implementing 1,2, maybe 3 years out. What's coming out now is pathetic and whoever is responsible for the poor communication coming out of AMX is clearly not measured on the impact the comms has on their dealers. I doubt they're measured at all, the quality of the output is diabolical.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    iainshaw wrote: »
    And then they'll find out it's not true. Gosh, what a marketing triumph that will be...

I know a lot of you guys on here are coders, and I know you're not all resi dealers. But I own the business I work in and I work in the residential sector as an AMX dealer and I'm disgusted. JJames, i'm not interested in later in the year. I'm interested in clear, concise and truthful communication now. I'm selling jobs I'll be implementing 1,2, maybe 3 years out. What's coming out now is pathetic and whoever is responsible for the poor communication coming out of AMX is clearly not measured on the impact the comms has on their dealers. I doubt they're measured at all, the quality of the output is diabolical.

I am a resi dealer/coder. I understand your frustration and I feel the lack of effective resi marketing in my market as well. The competition is doing a far better job at creating recognition and interest, but I don't feel that this particular article is as bad as has been suggested in this thread. I did not see anything that was "not true". Sure, not every item pertains to my business, but I feel that they are all true to AMX as a whole.

As an attempt to turn this thread into productive feedback that has a chance to help us all, can anyone suggest publications that they have seen at their client's homes? How about publications that you have seen the competition advertising in, but found AMX to be absent?

One thing I would like to see more publicity on are the high-profile jobs that AMX is involved in. I have not done much research, so I am relying on the word of my boss here, but it seems very difficult to find any material talking about the jobs like the hotels in Dubai, the White House, the new Cowboys' stadium, Apple Stores and other high profile jobs. I understand not publishing security sensitive information and respecting the privacy of clients, but some of these places advertise AMX as an amenity. Others might enjoy the added publicity generated. It seems that the competition is doing fine talking about the big jobs they are involved in and generating market interest with the jobs, so it can't be that bad.

Jeff
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    ryanww wrote: »

You may want to grab a coffee / bottle of whisky, sit down and read this extensive thread on the matter.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    My intent was not to get another "let's bash AMX" thread going. I just wanted to get some discussion on some of their points, and in turn think of it as promising / positive news of stuff coming in the near future.

There seems to be a Veruca Salt attitude here lately.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    ericmedley wrote:
    The company's actions do not match their stated goals. Do they really want to stay in the Resi market? I just cannot beleive they do based upon the past 18 months. I just don't know what to think any more.
    Amen brother!
  • ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    "AMX
    1. Obama uses in White House"

I am sorry for whoever gets ofended on this one but, this was probably the lamest reason to buy a home automation system (os whatsoever!), that I have ever read..

This word pops in my mind Fallacy

"4. Distributed audio starts at $5,000 "
    So one of the reasons to buy AMX is cause it's cheap? Ain't there a misconcept here somewhere?!

I'm not intending to start (or feed) a rant here. But I think it's important that we express what we think in here, who knows, someone from AMX might actually read these posts.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    I'm quite offended by the image they try to pertain in the media, as to me I can agree with the statement made above. That if AMX really wants to be in the resi market they haven't shown it in the last 18 months.

Especially this statement has me flustered: - Control from iP(o)ad
    That's just ridiculous.. Have they even tried using it themselves? And if so THAT is supposed to be 1 of their big '5' selling points?! Are you freaking kidding me?

Sheesh, if you're not embracing certain things. A. don't make it seem you do and B. don't try to turn it into 1 of your big '5' selling points!

Configure without any custom code: This is a big selling point for a custom system?
    Our thermostat shows weather forecast: Words can't even describe this idiocy..
    Obama uses in White House: Wonder what he uses..
    Distributed audio starts at ? 5,000 x 2 - fixed

Whoever is responsible for this needs to run through town in a diaper..
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    So how would others have answered the "5 Things About You" question, in 5 words or less?
    Maybe this thread should have been named "5 Things I Hate About You"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr0Wv5DJhuk :p
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    mpullin wrote: »
    Maybe this thread should have been named "5 Things I Hate About You"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr0Wv5DJhuk :p
    Why did I click on the link? As soon as I saw who the artist was I threw up a little in my mouth. Ugh.
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    Why did I click on the link? As soon as I saw who the artist was I threw up a little in my mouth. Ugh.
    :( Sorry.

I suppose I could have linked to the 1999 film 10 Things I Hate About You ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147800/ )
    Yes, that would have been safer.
    Don't like Veruca Salt

How about we do try to post our killer points about AMX in 5 words - I'll try for 5 without telling lies, referencing a price point or calling on Obama...obviously this means I won't claim we have an iPhone app

Simplifies House Control for Everyone
    Grows to suit your needs
    Lets you enjoy fun stuff
    Serviced by fanatically enthusiastic dealers
    Backed by Home Automation leaders