Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Utilizing existing infrastructure for environment sensor

For anyone interested in sensor networks, particularly within residential environments, I highly recommend checking out some of Shwetek Patel's work. I've just been reading through some of his papers and watching the lecture he gave at Stanford's HCI seminar and think I'm going to be working on scraping my jaw of the ground for the next few days.

He's got details spec'ed (and patented) for utilizing existing infrastructure for location tracking, device monitoring and power usage, water and gas utilization (down to individual device / fixture level). It utilizes a single point of monitoring (ie. a wall wart, or single sensor attached to a tap) and functions as an awesome synergy of noise signatures and machine learning algorithms.

This is the sort of thing I would wet myself about if AMX were to distribute in product form.

Comments

• PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Just got an email back from Shwetak. His tech has been aquired and there's a product announcement due next week. :D
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Nice! It does look very interesting. Can't wait to see who bought it and what they are going to do with it.

Jeff