Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Samsung IP Control

I have a feeling I already know the answer to this question, but I figured there might be somebody out there that has figured out a way. Is there a way to control the new Samsung LCDs over IP? I thought they had rs232, but when I went to hook them up, they arent there. I would like for IR control to be my last resort. The blink on the front is horrendous. What about control using the USB port?

Comments

• Options
    Samsung currently has an iPhone app that controls the 2010 models "C series" via IP, so there must be some support for control via IP, but I'm unable to find the protocol.
  • Options
    bneal wrote: »
    I have a feeling I already know the answer to this question, but I figured there might be somebody out there that has figured out a way. Is there a way to control the new Samsung LCDs over IP? I thought they had rs232, but when I went to hook them up, they arent there. I would like for IR control to be my last resort. The blink on the front is horrendous. What about control using the USB port?

Do you found any Protocol?

thanks
    john
  • Options
    jimmywjimmyw Posts: 112
    Do this first, enable whatever settings you think correct in the TV for the iPhone app, use the iPhone app, try and turn it on, if that doesnt work, just stop there, I think the TV only supports commands once its on, damn energy settings turn the NIC off when the tv is off.
  • Options
    jimmyw wrote: »
    Do this first, enable whatever settings you think correct in the TV for the iPhone app, use the iPhone app, try and turn it on, if that doesnt work, just stop there, I think the TV only supports commands once its on, damn energy settings turn the NIC off when the tv is off.

it is a BluRay 5.1 System which i want to control. but it's correct, when it is in StandBy the NIC is down :-(

But with the iPhone App i can turn it on and off, so it must be a command to turn it on.

thanks
    pat
  • Options
    Your are in luck my friend!

things you need:
    a wireless AP
    a router
    a hub(HUB!!!!) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+4-Port+10+Mbps+Ethernet+Hub/7169262.p?id=1110266457493&skuId=7169262

plug router into HUB, plug pc into HUB, plug AP into HUB, connect iPhone/iThingy to wireless AP
    start wireshark, capture with your NIC selected (make sure wireless is turned off), control with iThingy, export your log and post here.

Thanks
    Jimmy
  • Options
    jimmyw wrote: »
    Your are in luck my friend!

things you need:
    a wireless AP
    a router
    a hub(HUB!!!!) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+4-Port+10+Mbps+Ethernet+Hub/7169262.p?id=1110266457493&skuId=7169262

plug router into HUB, plug pc into HUB, plug AP into HUB, connect iPhone/iThingy to wireless AP
    start wireshark, capture with your NIC selected (make sure wireless is turned off), control with iThingy, export your log and post here.

Thanks
    Jimmy

I use a Cisco WRVS4400N with port mirroring enabled. Then everything you need is in one box. The downside to that is the wifi isn't mirrored, so a WAP is necessary if you want to see what if anything is returned.
    The Samsung pieces I have tested are advertised as UPnP devices and have their capabilities listed with UPnP utilities which I don't currently have the names for. They drop the network connection on standby and cannot be powered on with the app, but I didn't try WOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    John_Glove wrote: »
    it is a BluRay 5.1 System which i want to control. but it's correct, when it is in StandBy the NIC is down :-(

But with the iPhone App i can turn it on and off, so it must be a command to turn it on.

hmm, must be WoL?, the nic might just shut down its indicator lights, does the switch say the port is still connected?
  • Options
    I use a Cisco WRVS4400N with port mirroring enabled
    you only save 1 device, and I like being able to use the hub to just drop in between a single port on our switches to spy really easily, no reconfig to turn off dhcp or enable port mirroring on a switch.
  • Options
    Hi Guys

Correction: I have see on the iApp the Power Button, BUT! this button is only for power off!
    after that, the app is disconnected!

Sorry.....
  • Options
    If it's anything like the Sharp Aquos panels, you might be able to disable powersave for the ports - for the Sharp models you do this in the hotel mode menu and I wouldn't be surprised that the Samsung has something similar hidden in a menu.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    I recently broke down and finally coughed up the money to buy two new Samsung 40” LED 1080p 120Hz Smart TVs, our first venture into HD. When I got them home I was blown away by the picture and was even more excited when I found out there is an SDK (including an emulator) to develop apps for it.

You go into the Smart Hub portion of the TV and login as a developer and from there you use Apache to upload your apps to the TV. If you want you can even submit your app to the Samsung app store so others can get a copy (or buy a copy) of your app right from their TV.

The real bummer though as others have pointed out is that the NIC card is disabled when the TV is off. I tried sending WOL magic packets on the standard ports (7 and 9) but nothing happened. I was going to write a program to loop through all the ports and see if I could find one that works but I read online that the NIC card is indeed dead when the TV is off. Samsung is apparently considering a WOL option in the future. They keep the IR receive powered, how much more energy would a NIC card use?

These new Samsung Smart TVs allow you to do some pretty cool stuff except turn the darn thing on.
  • Options
    travistravis Posts: 180
    Anyone have any luck finding a network protocol? Sitting here with an MD40b and their MDC app works, but it's too much to reverse engineer. The serial protocol I've used before on Samsungs still works. I've started an nmap port scan and tried all the TCP ports it found. It's going to take 16 hours for the UDP scan. Not that I think it'll find anything.
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Would be interested also if someone had some piece of protocol or strings to send to control it in IP ? as I have found some informations about fact now at least the 8000 series dated 2012 are network controlable ! and network can be set to stay on all the time so no more problem to control it when it's off !
  • Options
    DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    The screens do indeed respond to WoL. There was a bit of trick to it i seem to remember and I don't have nsx here to check how I powered them up just now. I'll dig it up tomorrow and post back.

I do also remember having to be careful about how the WoL UDP packets were being routed through the network.

Crazy that a high end commercial screen sends its interface to sleep.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm still leery of IP control in general. I've controlled ReQuest media servers and Lutron lighting controllers via IP without a single hitch. I've controlled Marantz and Denon AVRs without too much trouble, though with some very infrequent reliability issues. Elite TVs and Pioneer disc players, on the other hand, have been an utterly unreliable nightmare (though since they have the same manufacturing roots, maybe I shouldn't be surprised). So much depends on the manufacturer's implementation being robust, and there isn't (yet) a consistency there, not at the level I would like to see before deploying it for my customers.
  • Options
    The screens do indeed respond to WoL. There was a bit of trick to it i seem to remember and I don't have nsx here to check how I powered them up just now. I'll dig it up tomorrow and post back
    Thanks for the share, I would appreciate if you know if you could share the strings for control itself also of the TV :) For wake-up, it's not more needed to use WOL with 2012 8000 series (at least european version) as you can setup it to keep network port on all the time :D
  • Options
    Hey Vincen,

Firstly I should confirm this is for Commercial grade Samsung screens, but the info may well be the same for you.

This line opens up the dialog to a panel...
    IP_CLIENT_OPEN (ip_port_num.port,Samsung_MAC_addr,Samsung_WoL_port, ip_udp)

..where the Samsung_WoL_port = 1515 in my case..

Then the classic magic packet follows.

Hope this helps..
  • Options
    Hope this helps..
    Thanks for the info but as for now I'm unable to succeed to control the TV through IP, I won't be able to use WOL on it as I need also to be able to control it and not only put it on ;)
  • Options
    vincen wrote: »
    Thanks for the info but as for now I'm unable to succeed to control the TV through IP, I won't be able to use WOL on it as I need also to be able to control it and not only put it on ;)

....the source and other control packets are as per RS232 protocol document....

As an aside, I have found that several control codes I chose to check power status didn't behave as expected when the screen was either on or off....on the commercial panels at least. Only a lot frustrating...
  • Options
    ....the source and other control packets are as per RS232 protocol document...
    From what I have read everywhere on internet, for IP control, you need to reverse engine the communication made by the iOs/Android app from Samsung, so it's definitively not the RS-232 protocol :( at least on European version of their consumer TVs !