Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Cable Boxes with IR Receive Jack

Greetings,

I have a bunch of Pace brand cable boxes with "IR Receive" 3.5 mm jacks. Does anyone know a way to interface them directly with AMX IR?

Thanks.

Comments

• Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Same as you normally would, but instead of a flasher you use mini-jack at the other end.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Treid that with no success. The jack on the cable box is three conductor. I tried all combinations of connections as well as carrier off from AMX IR. No luck.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Greetings,

I have a bunch of Pace brand cable boxes with "IR Receive" 3.5 mm jacks. Does anyone know a way to interface them directly with AMX IR?

Thanks.

I wish every IR device had these. I hate Hate HATE!!! ir flashers.

One thing though...

I have ran into one instance where I needed to add a resistor to it. The voltage was a bit too high for the device and it was having issues. knocking it down a bit solved the problem.

Otherwise, it's always worked flawlessly.
    Has anyone tried specifically with Pace brand cable boxes?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It may be powered for one of those remote receivers like Niles and Xantech make. I'd stick a new plug that hasn't been wired in there and meter it; as I recall, the tip is the IR and the ring the power on those things. Leave off whichever connection has power, and the other two are your IR. The shield is almost certainly the signal ground no matter what the other two.

Besides carrier on and off, some of those connections require serial mode (Pioneer does that). So you have a few combinations of carrier on/off and IR/serial mode to try before you can completely give up. It's possible it's not active too, or even just broken.
    The tip shows 5 volts, the ring 4.25 volts measured to the sleeve. Appearantly the cable box manufacturer makes an IR receiver device specifically for the cable box. A buddy of mine with the cable company is going to loan me one. Time to get the oscilloscope out!
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The tip shows 5 volts, the ring 4.25 volts measured to the sleeve. Appearantly the cable box manufacturer makes an IR receiver device specifically for the cable box. A buddy of mine with the cable company is going to loan me one. Time to get the oscilloscope out!

Doesn't that figure. Typical receivers use 12v, which would have been a dead giveaway. It won't shock me if the signal is proprietary if they have their own box.