Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Dynamic images on 5200i

I have IP camera ACTi 3311.
Two panel 5200i with firmware v2.60.64 and v2.66.21. URL to stream http://Admin@IP:80/cgi-bin/cmd/system?GET_STREAM.
v2.60.64 working correctly. I see a dynamic picture on panel.
v2.66.21 after connect to stream (without picture), make disconnect from controller and WiFi, and maked reconnect to WiFi and controller.

Comments

• AlehaAleha Posts: 9
    Good support!
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    This isn't AMX Tech Support

Hi Aleha,

The forums are not an official AMX support channel.

I think from your post that you are saying that one firmware version works, but the other does not.

This should be refered to AMX tech support who can advise on your problem.
  • AlehaAleha Posts: 9
    Thanks Jimweir192
  • I am in the middle of a project with 10 MVP 5200i panels and all were slowing down to a crawl (when pressing buttons on the LCD) and then they also loose connection with the Wi-Fi and the Netlinx Master while displaying dynamic images. My setup has Axis video servers and Cisco 1200 Aps with a Cisco Wireless Manager. My panels only show one dynamic image per page. I changed the dynamic images refresh rate from 1 to 2 seconds and also used only 5 frames/sec and 65% jpeg compression rate on the Axis setup and the panels slow down improved to a point that panels were not loosing connection, but I can still notice a little slow down. All my panels have firmware v2.66.21. Apparently, it looks like that the dynamic image support on the MVP 5200i is inferior than the MVP 8400s. Any ideas? Or which settings are working for you? Is this another firmware problem?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I am in the middle of a project with 10 MVP 5200i panels and all were slowing down to a crawl (when pressing buttons on the LCD) and then they also loose connection with the Wi-Fi and the Netlinx Master while displaying dynamic images. My setup has Axis video servers and Cisco 1200 Aps with a Cisco Wireless Manager. My panels only show one dynamic image per page. I changed the dynamic images refresh rate from 1 to 2 seconds and also used only 5 frames/sec and 65% jpeg compression rate on the Axis setup and the panels slow down improved to a point that panels were not loosing connection, but I can still notice a little slow down. All my panels have firmware v2.66.21. Apparently, it looks like that the dynamic image support on the MVP 5200i is inferior than the MVP 8400s. Any ideas? Or which settings are working for you? Is this another firmware problem?
    Are all the TPs trying to display at the same time? If so how many are likely going through a single AP at a time?

I had issues recently but I was trying to display 5 thumbnail images at a time 120 x 90 or something.

Are AP's in controller mode?

Are these full page images? (4CIF 704 x 480) or smaller?

If the TPs were dropping the connection it alsmost sounds like they were getting bottle necked trough the APs which operate at 1/2 duplex. So maybe if you're trying to pull images to all the TPs at the same time and multiple TPs connect through any single AP that may be a choke point. The sluggish button pushes may not be a bogging down of the TP but backed up IP through a congested AP.
  • have you tried the suggestions in this post below http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?6515-Video-feed-to-AMX-Panel/page2
  • I have 7 Aps througout the site and 10 MVPs 5200i. I didn't do the setup for the Cisco hardware, but I believe that all Aps are in controller mode. Another important fact is that the APs are being used to serve a Cisco phone system. I am not sure if this can be a problem. The most I have is 2 MVPs 5200i per AP. No roaming, the touch panels are localized and connect to only the local AP with a unique SSID per AP.

I am thinking that the Cisco Wi-Fi controller my also be more of a trouble than worth, since it may be auto adjusting the APs signal strength.

I am out of the country now and will try some of the suggestions above when I get back in October.
  • My panels only show one dynamic image per page. I changed the dynamic images refresh rate from 1 to 2 seconds and also used only 5 frames/sec and 65% jpeg compression rate on the Axis setup and the panels slow down improved to a point that panels were not loosing connection, but I can still notice a little slow down.

If the resource is Motion JPEG, the refresh rate should be 0 - setting to 1 or 2 seconds adds the overhead of reconnecting that often to what would have otherwise been a continuous video stream. Based on your stated use case (one image per page, Axis video server), it sounds like a good candidate for checking the "Dynamo Resource" checkbox in the TPD4 Resource Manager to offload image processing to the DSP and decode up to 25 frames per second. You can then adjust frame rate and compression rate as needed. Note that if you increase the compression rate (all else equal) and your problem gets worse, it may be a panel processing bottleneck (since more resources are required to decompress); if your problem gets better, it may be a network/wireless bottleneck (since packets are smaller).
  • Checking the "Dynamo Resource" made things worse, panels locked up right away. I will try setting the refresh to 0 and playing with the compression. I am out of the country until October 10. I will try all the suggestions when I get back to the USA. Thanks!
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    I've experienced very slow video on 5200s, and yes, checking Dynamo makes the panels lock up and reboot vtg, especially if the image is larger than QVGA.

Older panels didn't have this problem. The problem is NOT WiFi or network related. I can have 10 8400s streaming the same resource at D1 resolution with no issues.
  • Can you post your pages that you see the lockup/restart with? Also, could you provide details about the video source (camera/server manufacturer & model, resolution, compression)? The next 5200i firmware release (sorry, I don't have any dates) addresses a couple of issues with certain camera types. I'd like to make sure we have your issue covered.