Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Studio Freezing

Has anyone experienced Studio 2.3 freezing when refreshing the Online Tree?

This has happened to me a number of times while accessing a remote system (outside my LAN) via Ethernet.

What happens is that the device list will not fully populate during a System Refresh. At that point Studio will freeze and steal 100% CPU resources trying to maintain/establish the network connection to the NetLinx system. The only way out is to shutdown Studio through the Windows Task Manager.

AMX tech support has only one other report of this problem. More information is required to get it fixed.

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I haven't had that exact issue, but I have had lockups with lost or slow connections in other cases. For example, running debug mode via Internet, I've had Studio freeze on me due to latency. I've had it outright crash and burn using device notifications on a chatty system, but that's just the opposite - too much traffic rather than a lsot or permanently pending connection. TPD4 also has connection isses, and will crash sometimes with a dropped connection at the wrong stage of operations. It's hard to say if the problem is really Studio/TPD4 or something in the socket layer of Windows that is not properly reporting the lost or fatally sluggish connection, and Studio/TPD4 not handling it gracefully. I'm afraid I can't get more specific than that though; I'll have to make it a point to record exactly what I am doing next time I see it. I tend to be a bit of a stoic when it comes to things like that - just restart and go back to what I was doing.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 99
    Yes, actually that was the first thing I noticed about Studio 2.3. About every 4th or 5th time, it will lock up. Doesn't matter if I'm viewing a remote site or my local controller
  • DHawthorne wrote:
    It's hard to say if the problem is really Studio/TPD4 or something in the socket layer of Windows that is not properly reporting the lost or fatally sluggish connection, and Studio/TPD4 not handling it gracefully. I'm afraid I can't get more specific than that though; I'll have to make it a point to record exactly what I am doing next time I see it. I tend to be a bit of a stoic when it comes to things like that - just restart and go back to what I was doing.
    Those are the stumbling blocks to getting a fix, you stated it quite well.
    If we can nail it down to an exact sequence of steps that cause the problem, we should be able to fix it, but it's just so hard to duplicate...
    Please post anything you find here, I'll pass it along to the Engineers.
  • I too was having an issue where the online tree would freeze part way through refreshing - fairly large system (3 masters ~1500 device-ports). I reset the ethernet modes from AUTO to 10 FULL on all the masters trying to solve another issue and have not had any further issues with the online tree.
  • Thanks, I'll pass it along...
  • feddxfeddx Posts: 167
    Freezing, but different

I've noticed that Studio 2.3 is seizing up for me after about 10 minutes if I'm connected to a NetLinx system via RS-232 only! This is a consistant problem.

Is Studio 2.2 still available somewhere. Very few problems with it, and for what I'm working on, I need stability.
  • Reese JacobsReese Jacobs Posts: 347
    Studio Freezing

I have the binaries for Studio 2.2 Build 83 (17.5 Mb) along with the Build 84 patch (1.33 Mb) and I can zip them to you via email if you like (private message me if you are interested). I don't think the 2.2 version is still available online from AMX.

Reese
  • tom goeztom goez Posts: 75
    Studio Freezing

Brian,

I have had the same lockup when accessing remote sites.

Even more annoying is the RS232 mode, especially when setting up a new unit, or accidentally sending the wrong source to a master that has a different system number (did that make sense?). Locks up every time using RS232, guaranteed. Need to power down the laptop and refire. No cntl-alt-del here!

I used to get a lot of page faults on both my desktop and laptop after installing NS 2.3. Called Tech Support, not many ideas. Finally uninstalled 2.3, and removed all Netlinx Studio 2 entries in the Registry, rebooted twice, then reinstalled 2.3 (make sure your Norton is temporarily disabled). Haven't had the page faults after doing that.

One of my programmers says his laptop locks up a lot when he uses File Transfer to "receive" a panel file or source code in masters using the Com port.

Tech Support will give you the pointer to NS 2.2 if any of you want to go back to the more reliable one.

Hope this input adds to the pile!

Tom Goez
    Antech Labs, Inc.
  • Eric YoungEric Young Posts: 15
    My solution

I was working on a NI3000 but NetLinx Studio 2 kept locking up. I have XP Home (R2). I even loaded a blank program and had tech support connect to the same master and they also had the problem. I connected to another master via serial and had the same problem. I was considering system restore on my PC but did standard maintainence first. Disc Cleanup and Defrag resolved the problem.

Moral of the story? Do not forget Care Of Your Computer 101!