Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Axcent2 Programming

I am in the process of Learning how to program. I understand that axcess it is just about obsoleate but at the moment that is all I can afford. I am using this as a way to learn how to program on my own time and not my companies. I have an Axcent2, AXR-RF and a bunch of Softkey remotes. I have a preety good idea of how to get started but if anyone knows where I may be able to get example files using the same equipment, that would be great. I appreciate any help you have to give a newbie. Thanks.
If you have any files that you think may help, send me an email to skot3660@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    My Progress

Ok, I have figured out how to activate the relays and i/o's in the Axcent2 and programming the Softkeys is quite simple, however I still can not figure out how to set up the AXR-RF to communicate with the Axcent2. It is wired correctly where the Axlink light is flashing only once per second and the Online Tree shows the device and the correct ID number. I cant find any modules for the AXR-RF or any information on how to except the channel numbers of the Sofkey. If anyone has any information on how to program and setup the Axcent2 to communicate with the AXR-RF and the Softkey, please help me out. The ammount of information out there on how to program use this combo is nill. I have one last question. I dont know if the softkey is the same frequency of my AXR-RF. I have a 418MHz AXR-RF because it is the most common frequency being used but the softkeys do not have anyinformation on their frequency. My question is, should the "Radio Data" light on the AXR-RF light up when a wireless device is sending out a command?

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've never worked with an Axcent2 at all, so I can't speak to any specifics with that particular setup. But I don't think it should be very different from an Axcent3 in regard to the AXF-RF.

You absolutely should be getting an Radio Data light flicker whenever a button on your remote is pressed; this has nothing to do with the master, even just powered up with no Axlink connection at all you should get the Radio Data light. I suspect your remotes and the receiver are not on the same frequency, or the receiver is bad (very common). It sounds like you have the Axlink part correct, since it is showing up on the online tree.
  • Options
    Yea, it figures. It was an ebay purchase for the receiver that claimed to be new. I did find out that the Softkey remotes do transmit over the 418MHz band so there must be a problem with the AXR-RF. I have tried five remotes with it and I would find it hard to believe that all of the remotes are bad.
    Yes, the Axcent2 is just like the Axcent3. I believe the only difference is that the Axcent3 is faster at processing and all the RS-232s are setup for hardware hand shaking with the 9 pin connectors right on it. If you have any information on how to set up the AXR-RF with the Axcent3 that would be helpfull also. The Softkey remotes do not seem to have a way to address each remote individually. I believe that they are all technicly received as the same remote, however I do not know what the address is. I think I am going to have to get the AXR-RF fixed or get a new one.

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Hi, I have the same configuration at home. Old but does the job. Is the softkey and RF reciever compatible(same frequency) The older ones were an odd ball frequency. That did not work with the newer softkeys. Also is the softkey setup to operate in RF mode, it may only have the IR active.
  • Options
    I've never worked with the Softkeys either, but I do have a copy of the manual, attached here.

RF receivers, especially the old ones, tend to drift. If it's the old adustable type, you might be able to open it up and re-tune it. Otherwise, just send it to AMX for repair, they are pretty good about getting them going again. I have no idea how to check the frequency on a Softkey, but I do have another (also attached) document that will help with the AXF-RF.
  • Options
    The best way to check the RF frequency for the softkey is to call AMX tech support and give them the serial number. They had all the info for my unit when I called.
  • Options
    FrankieFrankie Posts: 71
    Most of the time you can look at the serial number of the tx or rx to determine the freq. of the device....

I have a AXR-RF here with me know and it has a serial number of

782418M3902358

by looking at the serial number it is set at 418 MHz....
    the tx should have the same info in the serial number.
  • Options
    If all of this checks out okay, would you be able to post the code that your using?
  • Options
    More on Axcent2

You can only fire two IR ports at a time with an Axcent2. Also, the fiirmware is not software upgradable.

Use a terminal emulator connected to the programming port and type HELP. You should see a list of commands. Type SHOW DEVICE to see what firmware version you have. Then compare your firmware version with Software History (located under Tools in Studio) for features and device functionality.

Now try typing a swear word just for fun.
  • Options
    Ok, I have been able to test some more. Well, I was able to borrow a VPT-CP from our office and test it with my AXR-RF and it did not work as well. Im sure that my AXR-RF is defective. I tested the VPT-CP at the office with a PMB-RF receiver and it worked fine. My AXR-RF is 418MHz and so is the PMB-RF. I found some information that says that the Softkey remotes that begin with 190 in the serial number, are 418MHZ. Now Im not sure if thats the case. I took one if my Softkey remotes to work and tested it with the PMB-RF. It did not work. Now im not convinced that the Softkey frequency is 418MHz.

If anyone has any information on a Softkey with a serial number of: 190-2053-0296, please let me know. Im not sure what I need now to have the Softkeys communicate with the AMX.

I also saw that there were some posts that use a NI-700 as a master and an Axcent3 as a slave using the IO's, Relays, 232's and IR's. If anyone has accomplished this and wouldn't mind posting your Code on how to do it that would be great also. When I get to that point I will probably start a new thread. Thanks.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Hi Skot3660,

Yes, it's been done by myself and many others with great success. Check out Tech Note 158 which explains the process and see if it gets you pointed in the right direction.

Setting Master or Slave Mode:
    http://www.amx.com/techsupport/PDNTechNote.asp?id=158

Joe
    Skot3660 wrote:
    I also saw that there were some posts that use a NI-700 as a master and an Axcent3 as a slave using the IO's, Relays, 232's and IR's. If anyone has accomplished this...
  • Options
    I can send you some code that took me about 15 minutes to modify for the NI-700 and Axcent III to work together, its pretty simple to do. Just PM me your email. Perhaps you could include your softkey program and I could give it a quick once over.
  • Options
    Skot3660 wrote:
    I also saw that there were some posts that use a NI-700 as a master and an Axcent3 as a slave

Hmmm - Didn't you have an Axcent2? Be aware that the Axcent2 does *not* support slave mode.
  • Options
    Yes I do.......... HHmmmmmmm....... Well, I guess Ill have to upgrade then. I just started programming the AMX stuff so I still dont know the limitations of the devices. I have been installing them for many years and I've always hated not knowing how to control them. Thanks for the heads up though. Im sure Ill figure a way around it.
  • Options
    I bet you could find an Axcent3 on Ebay for cheap, if you still want to go that route. I picked up several NXI's with ME260 cards myself that way, for less than $1000 each. I won't resell such systems because I have no idea how the previous owner treated them (though usually, it was a conference system for a company that went under, and the new owner or landlord is just clearing the stuff out). But I have one running my home system, and another I installed to run a projection system at my church. It's a viable alternative for a less expensive controller than new where you don't need to support it like a new unit.