Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Aprilaire/Viewstat Remote Humidity Sensor

I hooked up a remote temp/humidity sensor to an Aprilaire/Viewstat thermostat. I expected to see the change in humidity be sent out automatically vs. needing to be polled. The remote temperature value is updated automatically but not the humidity value. Is it supposed to work this way or do I have a bad thermostat/sensor?

Thanks,
Greg

Comments

• truetrue Posts: 307
    I could never rely on non-polled stuff from Aprilaire thermostats. I would suspect this is normal (albiet not expected) behavior.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    When using the AMX module, You must poll for humidity. All other feedback is unsolicited.
  • satzsatz Posts: 17
    When using the AMX module, You must poll for humidity. All other feedback is unsolicited.
    I think that is true for the underlying protocol as well then.

Thanks,
    Greg
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    There is a command to turn on various levels of unsolicited feedback. I couldn't tell you for sure if it works for remote humidity or not, but I believe it does. The thing is, the protocol document from Aprilaire is a PDF of a scan, and it's a bad scan. The section that is unreadable ... you guessed it, is the unsolicited feedback command section. The format is basically "SN# C% ON/OFF", where # is the the thermostat number, and % is the feedback number. I think there are 13 of them, judging by the blank/unreadable lines in the document. I generally turn them all on.

The forum won't let me upload the document as an attachment, either in pdf or zip. Ifd anyone needs it, shoot me an e-mail and I'll send it to you directly.
  • satzsatz Posts: 17
    I do turn on all the automatic responses. The backlighting alert can be pretty chatty. Unfortunately the humidity sensor doesn't report. While the command summary in the PDF document is blank, the explanation below that summary does describe all the alert commands.

I even tried making the temperature sensor in the 8062 be "control" by flipping its dip switch hoping that might allow the humidity sensor to be "first" but I didn't see any change in the reporting behavior, unfortunately.

Thanks,
    Greg