Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Master/Slave question I believe - How To

First off I'm new to programming and this question may be basic but here goes. I have a NI-3000 that I currently have controlling DVD,TV,Squeezebox, Cablebox, video server and Matrix (component). I am very proud to have gotten my 1st program and TP's working with much help from various people and forums. I recently got a hold of an Axcent3 controller that I would like to put in the Loft that will control the TV, DVD, VCR from that location using the IR ports but would also like to control the NI-3000 to switch the Matrix and control the Video server and Squeezebox from the loft location. I know this is possible but how exactly to do it I'm not sure. My initial guess was to have my wired TP in the loft go to Axlink on Axcent3 and also have an axlink connection to the NI-3000. In that case would the programming for the local stuff be done on the Axcent3 and the other stuff on the Netlinx? I am lost, HELP!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

P.S. I already have a component Balun run to the loft from the Matrix Switch Downstairs.

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    You have to put the Axcent3 in slave mode, see tech note 158 for how to do that. Then you connect the Axlink buss on the Axcent3 to the Axlink on your NI. After that, the ports work like they were native to the NI. The only caveat I would add is that I have noticed it's difficult at times to load IR files to a slaved Axcent3. It can take several attempts for them to go through.
  • thepainterthepainter Posts: 69
    Thanks so much Dave for the quick response. I'll go ahead and try that and see how it works. Once done I would go ahead and just program through the NI-3000?

Thanks,

Paul

Edit -
    I have since put the Axcent3 in Slave Mode using the example (setting port number to begin with 30, 30-35 RS232, 36 - Relays, 37-42 IR, 43 I/O) I have a flashing Green light on the Axcent3 I have set the IR Port in the program as 5001:37:0 (to start) and tried to send IR to Port via TCP/IP and Serial and I keep getting "Transfer Aborted - Time out occurred on the receiving device". I know you said it is difficult to transfer the IR Codes but I'm wondering if I did something wrong?

Thanks Again,

Paul
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    When I loaded IR files to an Axcent 3 destined for slavery, I first set it as a master and loaded the files from the PC to the Axcent3 with the serial cable from the PC directly to the Axcent 3, The IR files will stay there when the Axcent 3 becomes an indentured servant and will work fine.

It doesn't add much time to do it this way and it can save aggravation. And, you know what they say, "money is aggravation." Or something.
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    An Axcent 3 in slave mode is still Axlink devices right? You actually set the DEVICE number to 30, not port. So you need to be sending the file to 37:1:0.

Kevin D.
    Woooooo Hoooooooo that did it, transfered the IR directly without a hitch also, Thank you (All)

Paul

shr00m-dew wrote: »
    An Axcent 3 in slave mode is still Axlink devices right? You actually set the DEVICE number to 30, not port. So you need to be sending the file to 37:1:0.

Kevin D.
    Soooo, I may have been a little over zealous in my response. Everything seemed to have worked but in the end I'm not sure where to go from here.

1 - Did a 'Set Device Base Number to 30' (Put Axcent3 into slave mode)
    2 - Located on Netlinx Studio in Device Tree IR Numbers (37-42)
    3 - IR Edit - sent known working IR's to device 37:1:0 (green progress bar to DONE)
    4 - Tried through both IREdit (Actuate) and Netlinx Studio (control device) and nothing.
    5 - On a Pulse I get the correct IR LED lit up.

Not sure if the IR didn't take (tried multiple times different locations 38, 39, 40, same result)

6 - Put back to Master and sent the IR's to Multiple ports via serial as 'Hedberg' suggested.
    7 - Tried a couple different IR Emitters

When it's all said and done I'm sure it will be some minor thing I missed or didn't do, I just can't seem to figure it out. I was so pumped when I saw those Green IR Transfer lights going, I thought that was it for sure.

Any Suggestions?
    Sounds like you are doing everything right, though I wonder if the device numbers have anything to do with it. Try making them up in the 100-200 range. Another thing I have noticed is once in a while, but by no means every time, you have to reboot the master for an IR load to "take."
    OK, Tried in the 200 region and get a similar response. What's the chances of having 2 bad IR Emitters? I take a working emitter off my NI-3000 and try that and same result. It seems like my IR is not taking to the Axcent3, I think (I need smarter people than I for this one). Is there a reset for the Axcent3 to get it back to a default setting. I did get this used but in working order. I guess before I do that I should try to put it back in Master mode and try to directly control it as Master (It was working correctly before).

Any other suggestions?
    A quick screen grab of my Axcent3 Tree in 'Open Access' (I loaded WDTV, DVD_VCR, LCD). I'm not sure what it's doing at those (RS232) locations and not in the IR locations. I doubled checked the location in both Slave and Master (39, 10). Still trying to figure this out.

Paul
    It's possible the IR ports on the Axcent3 are just bad. But while you have Open Axcess running, make sure those ports are set with carrier on, etc. ... in other words, set up for emitters, not a direct connection or serial.
    Dave - I checked the carrier and it was set to Normal. However, I'm a bit embarrassed to say this but I believe I owe it to the helpful folks on Forum. You know when I said everything seems to be working correctly (IR Light etc) well I knew that it had to be something I missed usually something minor, WELLLLLL after double checking the wiring (this is the embarrassing part) I had my emmiter plugged in the wrong port. The IR ports were set up as 208 - 213, well I had them reversed I was testing 208 when it was actually in 213 and 213 when it was actually in 208. Thanks for all your help.

Paul
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    It happens. At least it isn't a fully loaded RACK2 (yes, competitor) with multiple relay and serial cards all plugged in in the wrong order, wired backwards and upside down. Yeah, I've dealt with that. No, I didn't do it. =)