Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Firmware Version 2.86.50

MVP 8400

I thought WPA was supported with this new firmware version. I can only get WEP settings. Is that all there is?

Comments

• Options
    truetrue Posts: 307
    Another guy at work got this problem on his personal panel, before it died. I haven't noticed this problem myself.
  • Options
    shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    Wasn't there a change in wireless cards at some point that's required for the newer wireless options?

Kevin D.
  • Options
    truetrue Posts: 307
    The issue is that said options existed and the correct card is in use before the firmware update is applied. With the latest firmware update, it acts like it has a B card installed.
  • Options
    This latest firmware will support the older Hermes II "b" card (802.11b - only supports WEP encryption) and the latest Marvell "bg" card.
    The firmware will detect which card is installed at bootup and enable/disable the appropriate capabilities in the setup pages.
    The Hermes I card (also a "b" card) is no longer supported. There was a very limited number of early panels that were delivered with this card.
    You can identify the different cards this way:
    Hermes I: has 1 led.
    Hermes II: has 2 leds
    Marvell: has 0 leds.

Hope that helps,
    Mike.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    You probably have wireless B cards, not G. If you bought the panels more than 3 years ago, that is almost certainly the case. You need the G card to get WPA. They are not that terribly expensive, and fairly easy to upgrade. You need:

Model #: NXA-WC80211G/CF
    Part #: FG2255-07
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I will second the "Easy to upgrade" statement and I will also add that the upgrade improves the wireless range and reliability of the touch panels. (IMHO)

Jeff
  • Options
    Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    You probably have wireless B cards, not G. If you bought the panels more than 3 years ago, that is almost certainly the case. You need the G card to get WPA. They are not that terribly expensive, and fairly easy to upgrade. You need:

Model #: NXA-WC80211G/CF
    Part #: FG2255-07

Would it also be possible to exchange the wireless b/g card with a b/g/n card? (Or wouldn't that be supported by the software?)
  • Options
    Nerieru wrote: »
    Would it also be possible to exchange the wireless b/g card with a b/g/n card? (Or wouldn't that be supported by the software?)

There aren't any plans to offer a b/g/n card for the 8400. But I understand (from a reliable source) you will get improved performance with "g" cards (in your panels) if you use a good "n" capable router.
  • Options
    My experience has almost universally been that if the access point/router has N enabled, the panel won't connect at all. I mainly do residential, and am dealing with consumer level wi-fi products though, perhaps it's better with commercial products. I've always had to disable the N, though.
  • Options
    ClingpeachClingpeach Posts: 156
    Newer wireless cards installed ..will be changing over to WPA later..dont see MUCH improvement with signal capability
  • Options
    Clingpeach wrote: »
    Newer wireless cards installed ..will be changing over to WPA later..dont see MUCH improvement with signal capability

Make sure any wireless N (B/G mixed is fine) in the house is turned off. I just came from a job that was working poorly, and we had missed the wireless N in one of the access points. When I turned it off, my signal strength on the 5200's there went from "Poor" to "Excellent." It's also been my experience that it's not so much a range or signal strength issue, as one of reliability. The G cards just connect better and stay connected better ... and, of course, there is the better security, which is a big deal with my clients nowadays.
  • Options
    ClingpeachClingpeach Posts: 156
    Thanks so much for your help with this Dave..i copied your suggestions to my I.T. guy..all up and running with the new cards..
  • Options
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I will second the "Easy to upgrade" statement and I will also add that the upgrade improves the wireless range and reliability of the touch panels. (IMHO)

Jeff

hi
    can you tell me the exact upgrade process for a newer G-Card? I mean what firmware must be installed before install the card?

thanks
    john
  • Options
    John_Glove wrote: »
    hi
    can you tell me the exact upgrade process for a newer G-Card? I mean what firmware must be installed before install the card?

thanks
    john

1. Take panel apart
    2. Pull out old wireless CF
    3. Put in new wireless CF
    4. Stick new antenna in place using supplied template for positioning
    5. Put panel back together

I have always updated the firmware after upgrading the cards. I think you would have to have a very, very old firmware for it not to recognize it at all. If the firmware is currently up-to-date, you need do nothing once the card is in place.
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks for your reply.

now it is the newest firmware on it.

thanks
    john
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    msheehan wrote: »
    This latest firmware will support the older Hermes II "b" card (802.11b - only supports WEP encryption) and the latest Marvell "bg" card.
    The firmware will detect which card is installed at bootup and enable/disable the appropriate capabilities in the setup pages.
    The Hermes I card (also a "b" card) is no longer supported. There was a very limited number of early panels that were delivered with this card.
    You can identify the different cards this way:
    Hermes I: has 1 led.
    Hermes II: has 2 leds
    Marvell: has 0 leds.

Mike,

do you know are the used Marvel CF G-cards the ones with the 8385 chipset or if not do you know which chipset is used exactly?

Thanks much,
    Bob.
  • Options
    gsmithgsmith Posts: 59
    The G card used the Marvell 8385 chipset. It was a custom design for AMX and is no longer available.
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    Thanks Mike!