Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

NXV-300 Too Slow to actually use?

So I got a NXV-300 to play with here in my shop.

I was pretty disapointed to learnthat I could not just use Safari on my ipad to navigate to the server. I was told that was how it would work withthe ipad.

SO ok, VNC it is.... I went to the app stora and grabbed "Mocha VNC Lite" Cause it was free...

Mocha pulls up the Interface just fine, took some playing with to get it to resize the image to properly fill the screen, but it does seem tofill just fine after playing with zoom...

But omg is it slow.... I dont use a lot of annimations in my files, but there are a couple. Sub pages fade or scroll....

Problems:

Buttons cannot be "Held" only tap and release... Pain for Volume and scrolling through menus...

its incredibly slow. 5-10 seconds to page flip or pull up a sub-page. Is this Normal?

Is it worth it to get a better VNC program or is this thing just really that slow? Its unuseable with this free VNC and I just dont see how spending $25 for a diferent VNC would make that much of a difference.

Comments

• Options
    truetrue Posts: 307
    Buttons cannot be "held" is a VNC client implementation issue. On an iPad / iPhone, most clients believe a hold means you want to scroll. Try another client or see if settings are available to change that.

Re: the speed, the slowness is normal and I completely agree that it's too slow. I've told the owner / sales guys at our company about that. They seem to disregard and want to sell it as a complete touchpanel replacement... I can't really do anything further if customers end up disappointed.

Try it with a PC VNC client and you'll notice it's just as slow. One of our panel files that we run on CV5s runs great, but it does have a live camera page. If that page is shown on the NXV-300, it appears locked up...hitting an area that would change pages will let you use the panel again in 10-30 seconds.
  • Options
    ImpaqtImpaqt Posts: 155
    yeah, I noticed it was still pretty slow in Internet Explorer on my PC. Better.. But still slow.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    VNC to 300

Get iTeleport (formerly named JAADU VNC), it's $25 but it really works well. It DOES let you hold buttons. It has operating profiles to pick among, and one of the profiles is AMX PANEL. Jaadu/iTeleport worked with AMX and with us a CineTouch as well to tweak out the operation to be as good as possible using VNC.
    It also works on the iPAD. It gives you visual feedback on touches, allows HOLD as mentioned, and suppresses the cursor. You can ZOOM in if you like, but it hugs full screen when it can.

I used MOCHA and the difference is significant.

It's still slower than a real panel, but if you use the smallest panel type you can load in the 300 (the 430/435 resolution), there's 4 times less data to transfer than with a 5200 size page, so it is 4 times faster. On a local network, it's fairly acceptable.

The internal WEB served pages give a faster response than VNC, but as you saw, it is only working on MSIE and Firefox, and not Safari.

FYI, if you can't use the web anyway, you are better off VNCing to a real 430 for the same price. You get a real panel out of the deal too.