Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Installer Question.

Is there a limit as to how many Axlink connections you can have linked to a controller? (NI-3000)

Comments

• truetrue Posts: 307
    Yes.
  • thepainterthepainter Posts: 69
    Not sure exactly what that means.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    thepainter wrote: »
    Is there a limit as to how many Axlink connections you can have linked to a controller? (NI-3000)
    I?m not sure what you mean exactly by the number of connections. The total length of the AxLink bus can be up to 3000 feet. The total number of devices on the bus is limited to 255. Do not connect the AxLink bus from one NI-xxx to another.
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    Axlink products can only be set to device numbers 1-255, so that's your limit. You can add another master and get 255 more.

Kevin D.
    Thank you, I have 8 TP's and 2 Axcent 'Slaves', just wasn't sure how many I could connect to the Axlink on the Master.

Paul
  • PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    Don't forget about power if you are powering all of the devices off the Axlink bus. Depending on the TPs and PSs being used, you might come up short of power. I also recall somewhere (Quest for Power maybe?) that you could run into issues with the physical connectors if you link too many together and run the current up as a result.
    Thanks Pyro Guy I have 5 TP's linked directly to the Netlinx Master Axlink and 1 Axcent3 (Slave) with its own Power Source with the correct wiring procedure. I have 3 more TP's and possibly 1 more Axcent3 Slave. I had planned on running the Axcents on it own power supply but am not sure if I can do 8 TP's direct to the Master Axlink (so far 5 is working without issue).

Paul
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    thepainter wrote: »
    Thanks Pyro Guy I have 5 TP's linked directly to the Netlinx Master Axlink and 1 Axcent3 (Slave) with its own Power Source with the correct wiring procedure. I have 3 more TP's and possibly 1 more Axcent3 Slave. I had planned on running the Axcents on it own power supply but am not sure if I can do 8 TP's direct to the Master Axlink (so far 5 is working without issue).

Paul

The wattages of each piece of gear are known. Just make sure you have a beefy enough power supply to handle it. Keep in mind that an under-wattage power supply will bring gear up but it will stuggle to keep cool and will eventually burn up. It's also hard on some gear as it makes the power rail warm.

Wire length comes into play as well as there is voltage drop. It's all just physics... :~>
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I can't think of a panel that doesn't allow for a local power supply. It's generally recommended if you use a local supply for any device to not connect the V+ (red) line of the Axlink buss to that device.