Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Another odd thing

Just recently, the same system discussed ad nauseum in THIS thread stopped talking to it's devices. It was not locked up. I could telnet in, I could see everything online. Just nothing happened when you pushed a button, and none of the feedback was up-to-date. Not even so much as an error message. I rebooted the master, and it changed nothing. I could see the various messages while the modules initialized, but never saw any online messages (devices showed as online before, but were unresponsive; after the reboot, they never came online again). There was plenty of memory of all types available, and CF disk space. All devices were accessible on the network directly.

On a hunch, I reloaded the program (without changing a thing) and it all came back up like nothing was ever the matter. It's been fine since (this was about a week and a half ago). I have seen this kind of behavior when non-volatile memory ran out, but that wasn't the case this time (or at least the master wasn't reporting it so). I've seen it when the master was out of disk space and you tried to load new code, but that wasn't the case this time either.

Any ideas? I'm up and running, and it looks to be stable. But since this system has had issues before I couldn't explain, it makes me nervous. Mind you, everything is running new firmware, and the master itself has been recently replaced. I'm just looking for hints and hunches that might pan out. I stongly think it may be ISP related, but I can't verify that or duplicate it.

Comments

• yuriyuri Posts: 861
    I have seen this happen once with a system, but I saw LOTS of error messages and the output LED was lit continuously...

Guess that's not something you are experiencing :)
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    On a hunch, I reloaded the program (without changing a thing) and it all came back up like nothing was ever the matter.
    Are there any duet modules in the program? I?ve seen the same exact thing happen when using duet, a reboot did nothing but reloading the same exact program seemed to ?fix? it. I have no idea why though.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    No Duet ... I avoid it if at all possible. And remember too (now that the saga includes two threads, I feel it necessary to remind you all :) ), this is a system that has been deployed for several years without issue until I upgraded firmware early this winter (just before Christmas). No error messages. I can't speak to the IO light state, I've been working remotely ... which is another thing, usually this kind of problem locks the IP port, and that didn't happen.