Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

C restron Response to iPad

Home Theater Reiview just posted an article on C restron's response to the iPad.

http://hometheaterreview.com/********-reacts-to-apples-ipad-by-opening-up-more-local-distribution/

If nothing else this should make AMX feel good about their decision to deal with TPC to provide a superior solution. For good or bad the times they are a changin'.

[edit]
Hmmm, they even bleep the link. Doesn't that get old?
[/edit]

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I love this quote from the article:
    The fact remains that many Cre_tron systems are programmed poorly even today, and with more installers selling the line this trend is likely to continue without a massive change in the way that these products are programmed.
  • I think this article speaks volumes.
    compared home automation brand, Cr?stron to the likes of Sub Zero, Viking and Grohe. He went on to suggest that was "among the best brands that a wealthy person can install into their home."

If you were comparing cars, even BMW get's mentioned when you talk about Mercedes. Here only Control 4 only get's mentioned. Granted the guy making the quote was a Cr?stron dealer, but the reviewer wasn't.

AMX who?

Need more marketing!

-John
  • Incidentally, the Cr?stron app is free?
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Well, something we all know is that AMX is not very strong in the residential market compared to Cr?stron, however in the commercial market the roles seem to be reversed (usually.) Oddly, a few weeks ago I contacted several Dallas AMX commercial dealers, and they mostly stated that they were started to lean towards Cr?stron for their jobs - perhaps because of price points? I'm not sure to be honest . . . let's hope Infocomm will turn things around for AMX; I smell some big announcements.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    C-tron made the marketing decision to attempt to reach the lowest common denominator. In terms of sheer sales volume, I think that decision worked for them. However, it left a lot of end-users with poorly programmed systems, and what I like to call "hit-and-run" installations, where you never see the installer again after the first day. That said, a properly installed and programmed C-tron system is a solid product and works well and reliably. The problem seems to be getting them properly installed and programmed, as there are so many code monkeys out there putting them in.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought they only released their lowest end system to distribution. Something similar to C4 and designed to compete with it. They also just announced enhancements and improvements to the line which seem to make it more competitive in the market the product is designed for. (read as: NOT high-end custom automation.)

I personally think that the biggest mistake Ctron made was releasing the lower end product line under the Ctron name. Instead of add value to the new line, I think it severely devalued their high end equipment... especially when the low end stuff had so many issues. It can also be confusing/frustrating because you are not able to move from entry level to mid level without scrapping the entry level equipment.

I agree with Dave. At the end of the day, the brand doesn't matter if the dealer can't install it properly.

Jeff
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Why was my post deleted??? I cannot imagine what I said that was bad...
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought they only released their lowest end system to distribution. Something similar to C4 and designed to compete with it. They also just announced enhancements and improvements to the line which seem to make it more competitive in the market the product is designed for. (read as: NOT high-end custom automation.)

I personally think that the biggest mistake Ctron made was releasing the lower end product line under the Ctron name. Instead of add value to the new line, I think it severely devalued their high end equipment... especially when the low end stuff had so many issues. It can also be confusing/frustrating because you are not able to move from entry level to mid level without scrapping the entry level equipment.

I agree with Dave. At the end of the day, the brand doesn't matter if the dealer can't install it properly.

Jeff

Honestly, I don't really know what their exact distribution system is. I only know that it seems like every guy working out of his garage sells them, and every electrician who is tired of fishing Romex. I just assumed this meant they were very casual about who could buy it. Could well be, it's only a limited series, but if so, it's downright everywhere.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    ericmedley wrote: »

I definitely can :P.

About the link, yeah that's kinda childish. I never even noticed they did that though. I always used ctron as the word so..

But that article..

"In today's re-priced real estate world, even the affluent want a bargain and if $35,000 in Control4 gets you what $100,000 in ******** does - customers will often go for the lower priced option even if Control4 doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that ******** does."

Really now.. A $35,000 installation doing the same as a $100,000 Ctron/AMX install?

That's like saying a $35k Volkswagen is the same as a $100k BMW..

Mr. Jerry Del Colliano should inform himself quite a bit better about our market. Too bad we can't respond to his article w/o registering. Because right now I can't take an article like that seriously.

// Though some points are valid.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    and every electrician who is tired of fishing Romex.
    Hey, what's wrong with electricians? I'm a licensed CT E-1 and still do alot of electrical jobs to support my AMX habit but I'd have to agree that most electricians shouldn't even be doing electrical work let alone AV and definitely not systems integration.

The only thing I can imagine that's worse is coming form a background in security systems. ;)

My post was not deleted... My memory of making a post, however, is probably deleted...
    My post was not deleted... My memory of making a post, however, is probably deleted...

e, you gotta stop smokin those funny cigarettes!
    vining wrote: »
    e, you gotta stop smokin those funny cigarettes!
    You know, I don't smoke anything really (nor drink for that matter) However, as of late, I might consider it... :D
    You know, I don't smoke anything really (nor drink for that matter) However, as of late, I might consider it... :D
    Yeah, I know what you mean and I'm in the same boat. A sip here or there from my wife's drink, definitely no more smokin for 20+ years and I don't miss any of the partying that I used to do but every once and while I think about kickin back and coppin' a buzz but now a days I can get that from a can of coca cola since I don't drink that either unless I'm feelin' reckless.