Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Problems with Phast Devices

Hey everyone,
Happy Friday to all. I have a bit of a conundrum here and i'm hoping that all of you can band together you're impressive knowledge to help me out.

I just acquired a lot of Phast \ Landmark equipment that has some problems. The stuff is in unbelievable physical shape, it almost looks like it's new out of the box. But unfortunately, i'm having these issues with them:

PLB-HUB: One of the two PLH-MIC hub cards is no longer functional. This card causes the ICSnet LED on the master to go solid right away as soon as it's connected. I have triple checked to make sure that the "Hub Out" ports are going to the "Hub In" ports and so on. There are two cards in the box, one works perfectly, the other has this problem.

PLB-CF10: The cardframe powers up just fine, and all of the cards inside have power, and blink occasionally. Unfortunately, connecting the "Hub In" port to the master's ICSNET out port causes the same problem as the failed hub card (the ICSnet LED comes on solid). Connecting keypads to one of the CF10's PhastLink ports does cause the keypad to power up, but it never finds the master. Connecting any keypad to my NetLinx master powers the keypad up, and the keypad finds the master right away.

PLB-AS16: The switcher did not power up at all on it's own. I have repaired these before by replacing the internal power supply. I performed this repair and the switcher did then power on. The power LED is on, and all of the 16 "source" LED's are dimily lit, which I know is the switcher's normal idle state. However, it was not able to communicate over the PhastLink bus either, and connecting it to an ICSnet port does not cause the "Link" led to illuminate on the front of the switcher. I did see some traffic on the ICSnet bus on the NetLinx master (led flickering by the port), but it never shows up in the online tree.

I'm already forever in your guy's and gal's debt, but if you could please help me with some ideas and suggestions to hopefully get this stuff working, I would so greatly appreciate it. Maybe i'll take ya'll out to dinner :)

Thanks so much,
Brooks

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I'll focus on the audio switcher as I have some experience with that.

We have several of them still in use and still working fine.

You'll need to use the module included here to talk to the thing.

The basic idea is that you hook the phastlink up to the netlinx master's ICSNet (assuming it has one) If it's working, it'll show up in the device online tree. You can reassign it's device number there if you need/want to.

Then configure the module and follow the instructions.

Here's the deal on this switcher. It works and sounds great. Through the module it also works like a charm.

However, the history of them is that at some point the ICSNet communications will fail. If/When that happens, there's not fix. Parts/Service are no longer available. So, if/when it dies that's the end of it.

It's too bad since it really was a great piece of gear.

Hope that helps.

e
  • Thanks Eric for your reply. It looks like it may have met it's maker, as no matter what I try it simply will not communicate over ICSnet. My AS-8 works like a charm, so I know my master is okay.

How about the other gear, does anyone have any insights?

Thanks again,
    Brooks
  • bwhiteford wrote: »
    PLB-AS16: The switcher did not power up at all on it's own. I have repaired these before by replacing the internal power supply. I performed this repair and the switcher did then power on.

Brooks, (or anybody) Would you mind sharing what power supply you used? Also do you know if the -5 and -12 volt outputs are used in a CF10? I am trying to support clients with failing power supplies and I am finding it hard to match the specs of the original EMACS (Zippy) supplies.

TIA

Robert
  • Hi Robert,
    Really, any AT power supply will work. It's critical that it's *AT* and not *ATX*. All the newer stuff is ATX of various flavors. The old AT stuff has two connectors motherboard power, then the rest of the connectors are pretty much the same as ATX. Are you looking for a specific model to order or something?
  • Brooks,

In the CF-10 in particular the PS was a server class from Zippy. It has 3 amps at -5 volts and 3 amps at -12. I was wondering if this much current was needed. All of the AT supplies I can find now only supply .5 amps at both voltages. BTW I found a adapter that takes the 20 pin ATX and breaks it out into the p8, p9, and p10 connectors.

http://www.power-on.com/connectors-adapters.html

In the other chassis like an AS-16 are you saying that any AT supply will work? I only have a failed CF-10 in front of me now but I'm sure I will have HUBs and switchers dieing in the future.

Thanks,

Robert
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Last I checked (a few months ago) AMX will still repair the switchers for a flat rate of $300. It's possible they will do the others as well; it may be worth a call to find out.

You did remember to remove the MCU card from the hub, didn't you? If it's still there, it won't connect to a NetLinx master.