Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Touchpanel Rotation

yuriyuri Posts: 861
Hi,

I know the new NXD-430 and NXD-500i are able to rotate the interface.
Is there any option like this for bigger touchpanels, like the NXD-700Vi or NXD-1000Vi?

/Y

Comments

• gsmithgsmith Posts: 59
    Unfortunately no. The 430 and 500i can operate in portrait mode because the internal microprocessor has a hardware module that can rotate the screen data before it is displayed on the LCD. The 700Vi and 1000Vi use different processors that do not have this capability.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Damnit, thanks for the quick reply!
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Couldn't one just design the panel rotated?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Text entries.
    Ahh - right, didn't think about that.

*heads back to his cave with his head hung low*
  • BigsquatchBigsquatch Posts: 216
    jjames wrote: »

Certainly possible. Worth the effort? Your call.

There are some rotated fonts available
    http://www.fontspace.com/fleisch/blocky-sideways
    http://www.ffonts.net/Pf_veryverybadfont7-sideways.font

You would have to do some string manipultation to reverse all of your text and add carriage returns between each character to effectivle stack the letters on top of each other. A potential problem would be letters that extend below the baseline. Alignment>center middle might be able to compensate depending on the font.

If you don't have much (or any) variable text and you know all possible values of your var text you could make PNGs of all such text in a graphics prog and rotate them then index all of the PNGs in an array to make calling the right one relatively easy.

Not quick and easy but definitely possible.
    Thanks for the replies.
    It's a touchpanel for a music system, so i have ALOT of text fields that get dynamically updated...
    yuri wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    It's a touchpanel for a music system, so i have ALOT of text fields that get dynamically updated...
    I've never been a fan of the decision to go with the 16x9 ratio just for this reason. One of the most important features of TPs is their ability to display dynamic lists an quite frankly the 16x9 ratio sucks for this. Everything else can be made to work in the 4x3 ratio and lists are just better unless the 16x9 is the 17" model but then there's intercom support not the mention the cost. Maybe if I were watching HDTV on a 7" I'd want it 16x9, not likely, so why follow the trends of TVs? I'm sure the glass cutters can still cut any shape you want, maybe for a dollar or two more but c'mon. And the increased real estate area is an invalid argument cuz you can't compare displays like that.

If 16x9 was the ideal UI ratio why have apple products which are with a doubt the most prolific UI ever not using 16x9 or even 4x3. Well the iPhone is close 16x9 when flipped but originally is was fix the other way around (iPod).
    vining wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of the decision to go with the 16x9 ratio just for this reason. One of the most important features of TPs is their ability to display dynamic lists an quite frankly the 16x9 ratio sucks for this. Everything else can be made to work in the 4x3 ratio and lists are just better unless the 16x9 is the 17" model but then there's intercom support not the mention the cost. Maybe if I were watching HDTV on a 7" I'd want it 16x9, not likely, so why follow the trends of TVs? I'm sure the glass cutters can still cut any shape you want, maybe for a dollar or two more but c'mon. And the increased real estate area is an invalid argument cuz you can't compare displays like that.

If 16x9 was the ideal UI ratio why have apple products which are with a doubt the most prolific UI ever not using 16x9 or even 4x3. Well the iPhone is close 16x9 when flipped but originally is was fix the other way around (iPod).

You are right, i like to use the 12" touchpanels, which are still 4:3.
    For almost all other solutions 16:9 works, but 4:3 would be WAY better :)
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    4:3

AMX product execs told us that 4x3 video screens aren't made by most suppliers anymore. AMX doesn't sell enough volume to commission custom internals.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    vining wrote: »

Because almost everything in the initial design was based around list a based interface (as well as in the case of the iphone and ipod the requirement of being a physically practical form factor for fitting into a pocket). Given, if your producing an interface that revolves almost exclusively around list and textual based content a taller rather than wide aspect ratio is exactly what you are after as it reduces the number of saccades and fixations the user's eye must make in order to take in information presented and build a mental map of the interface state.

However, I'd argue in AMX world that list / textually dominant interfaces are the exception rather than the rule; even in domestic installs with heavy use of media servers etc media lists are only an interface component, rather than interface structure. For the most part, at least in AMX systems I've been exposed to, their core purpose is based around linear media, signal distribution, access, and/or environmental control and interaction. For these purposes having the ability to utilize interface designs that can incorporate full screen visual media at its original aspect ratio with a control layer superimposed is extremely useful in providing a decent user experience. Additionally increased horizontal screen real estate facilitates the creation of interfaces which require a lot of elements to exist at equal positions within a visual hierarchy (i.e. a lot of devices or operating modes, but not a lot of depth to each section of the interface) . It looks as though AMX is heading in the right direction with the hardware based rotation in the 430 and 500i and hopefully we'll see this pushed across to all panels in the future so we get the best of both worlds.
    PhreaK wrote: »
    However, I'd argue in AMX world that list / textually dominant interfaces are the exception rather than the rule

I'd agree w/ that but wouldn't 4x3 be the better compromise if what JN said wasn't true (I know it is) and the ability to flip is really ideal for hand helds where you can take advantage of either rotation to best present the needs of the current page. The smaller 430's, etc are good since you can lock them in a familar keypad style display orientation which for a screen that size and its designed purpose makes sense.

It might just be me but most times when laying out a new TP design I wish I had more height and less width when dealing with the 16x9 TPs unless it's the 17". Even though lists are a small part of the users experience when you need them I'd rather see 10 items at a time than 5 or 8. I preferred 20 but that ain't happening. I can always make those other pages for "their core purpose is based around linear media, signal distribution, access, and/or environmental control and interaction" work since these pages are general easy with more unused area than the list pages which are typically highly congested.

I am very curious to see what AMX has up their sleeve in regard to a new generation of AMX TPs. They have to have some plans, of course with high engineering costs, high overhead in general with comparitively low sales volume and of course UI's from 3rd parties (iPad) out there crushing the TPs sales potential and profitablity they've got to be making some tough decisioins and who knows where that will lead.

Since square is the new round how about some 4x4 screens w/o bezels. I think completely flush "mud in type" mounting rings would help in the custom resi market. Then you could justify the cost since you're getting a custom trimless appearence and that's the type of thing folks will spend money on. Like Lutron customer's don't tend to care about it's capabilites but if you can go from a 5 gang box to a 1 gang well heck that's worth spending $50k then. Likewise I think a sexy trimless prefectly flush in wall TP would be highly saleable. Speakers and mic might be an issue but I'll leave that to the engineers to figure out.
  • Potrait mode
    The new MVP-9000i also supports portrait mode. :)
    B_Clements wrote: »
    The new MVP-9000i also supports portrait mode. :)

This I like . . . but can we change it on the fly? When it's docked (in-wall), have it go it go portrait, but when it's undocked and in the hands of the user, go landscape? I'd hate to be stuck to one or the other 100% of the time.
    Fly

No on-the-fly orientation change until a new OS and a new TPDesign... one project at a time, authored one way or the other. See how the 435 and 500 do it now. Same for iPhone and iPad, choose an orientation at authoring time.
    Darn . . . who'd want to hold a 9" touch panel in portrait mode? Perhaps it's just ahead of its time.
    Hold....
    Darn . . . who'd want to hold a 9" touch panel in portrait mode? Perhaps it's just ahead of its time.
    That's how you typically hold an iPad...
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    John Nagy wrote: »
    That's how you typically hold an iPad...
    Yup, just like a newspaper or a book.
    I can't wait for Apple to crumble so I can quit hearing everyone compare everything to an iSomething.

P.S. - I should note that I am not getting down on you John or Joe, it's just tiring how every standard now is the Apple-standard. I keep hearing the masses say "I'll buy anything that has an Apple on it. I don't care if it even works or is overpriced."
    Like a...

Ok, like a Kindle or a Sony Book or a Palm Pilot or a Tablet PC. Actually, the iPad is like THEM.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Ok, like a Kindle or a Sony Book or a Palm Pilot or a Tablet PC. Actually, the iPad is like THEM.

Exactly..

Form factor wise it ain't anything new, however aspect ratio wise it's nice ^^.
  • Viewing angle

I suppose if AMX did not design in this option we would get complaints whether the feature gets used or not. The key is a display with an 85 degree viewing angle in all directions.

You guys will appreciate not worrying about a viewing sweet spot, especially when docked in the wall.
    B_Clements wrote: »
    You guys will appreciate not worrying about a viewing sweet spot, especially when docked in the wall.
    Now THAT will be nice.

I do get the concept of using it in portrait, I just never have so it seems very odd. I can definitely see portrait for in-wall, but not wireless. New idea I guess for A/V control for me that I'm just not wrapping my head around. Not that I think it's BAD, just weird. :) I guess just having the hard buttons in a different location when using it in portrait mode throws me off.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Now THAT will be nice.

I do get the concept of using it in portrait, I just never have so it seems very odd. I can definitely see portrait for in-wall, but not wireless. New idea I guess for A/V control for me that I'm just not wrapping my head around. Not that I think it's BAD, just weird. :) I guess just having the hard buttons in a different location when using it in portrait mode throws me off.

The key would be to not have a lot of hard buttons. Like on the 5200 (though I have to admit most clients can't even use it because their fingers are simply too thick). And have a lot of it work on the panel itself. So via soft-keys.

I think it would be nice to have certain features. Which have grown to be standard in the smartphone industry. (especially the touchscreen smartphone industry). Imo that's the right way to move.

Look at phones by companies like apple, htc, google etc.

Those are high-quality phones with high-quality software!