Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

DIRECTV HR24

It looks like the IR codes for Ch+, Ch- and directional arrows on this piece are a little bit different than the previous models. I just replaced an HR20 with one of this pieces in a project, and when you press any of this buttons the receiver executes them correctly and all of the sudden starts running like this commands where sent several times. Anyone else experience this? I did a search here under HR24 and DIRECTV but couldn't find anything related.

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    This is to be expected. The maximum hold time on a DTV receiver for a single push has been reduced to 500ms.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Yeah, DirecTV sent it out in a tech bulletin. It applies to all models with the latest firmware.
    In the most recent software release for the DIRECTV HD and HD DVR set-top boxes (models H21, H23, H24, HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23 and HR24), the press-and-hold key repeat timing for the arrows (UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT) & CHANNEL UP/DOWN keys is changing to improve the user experience.

The previous software versions waited 2 seconds before determining "press-and-hold" functionality on these keys. After 2 seconds of continuous IR reception of these keys, the set-top box software begins to repeat the original key press in the user interface.

The latest software versions wait 1/2 second before determining "press-and-hold" functionality of these keys. This provides for faster navigation of the Program Guide and other screens where there is a list of items to navigate.

This change may affect automated control systems and non-DIRECTV remote controls which send any of these keys for longer than 1/2 second (500 milliseconds) with the expectation of single key press in the user interface. It is recommended that the duration of any IR commands issued by third party devices for these keys not exceed 400 milliseconds when a single key press in the user interface is desired.
  • spike2txspike2tx Posts: 11
    hr24

it's not the pulse times that's the issue with these units passed the fact that they have changed the hold times. we were at 300ms on all our Ir commands for all models. they all still work as before. just installed a new HR24 and that's not the case. even with pulse times to 100ms and adjusting CTON to 1 and CTOF to 3, the dtv box goes nuts on those 6 commands. chan uop/down and all cursor functions. the hr24 gets in a loop and will not stop unless you hit another function such as exit. I don't have time to jack around with electric tape with pin holes poked in as suggested by some. think these are just gunna have to be controlled with serial commands. any other thoughts?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    spike2tx wrote: »
    it's not the pulse times that's the issue with these units passed the fact that they have changed the hold times. we were at 300ms on all our Ir commands for all models. they all still work as before. just installed a new HR24 and that's not the case. even with pulse times to 100ms and adjusting CTON to 1 and CTOF to 3, the dtv box goes nuts on those 6 commands. chan uop/down and all cursor functions. the hr24 gets in a loop and will not stop unless you hit another function such as exit. I don't have time to jack around with electric tape with pin holes poked in as suggested by some. think these are just gunna have to be controlled with serial commands. any other thoughts?

When and where are you sending the CTON & CTOF commands? Define start or the online event handler for that particular IR port? It should be in the online event handler. According to their tech note a pulse duration of 0.5 seconds will be evaluated as a hold which is bad since that's the default pulse time when using XCH, SP or the "Pulse" keyword command so if your using XCH or SP commands with the CTON/OF as described it should work as long as the device (NI device port) is online when you send those CTON/OF commands. If your'e using the "Pulse" keyword you have to use the set pulse time command prior to each IR string and then reset it immediately after since it's a global setting and why using SP is preferred and easier.

What are you using for an IR file? I have found that it is very easy when capturing a button that repeats when held (like your cursor controls) to actually capture several pulses instead of a single one. This is yet another shortcoming of the IRIS that has never been updated ... other IR capture devices seem to be able to account for this. So no matter your pulse time, if it is sending out two commands instead of one, the box might be misinterpreting it as a hold. I've had the opposite happen too, that I only captured part of a command, and holding wouldn't work at all ... you could use a TO command on the IR channel, and it would still just pulse. Different problem, but the heart of it is still a bad capture.

After you've checked what Spike said, which is also correct (especially about using PULSE, it definitely bypassed the CTON, and it uses a global time, not per device), if all else fails, try recapturing those commands. A quick and dirty test (or even fix, if you can stand leaving it like this) is to not use SP, or PULSE at all, but to put an ON and OFF on the IR channel back-to-back. That results in the absolute minimum pulse a device can manage. I've had to do it once or twice with remotes that simply would not capture properly no matter what.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Try this file. It has worked every without issues for me.

Off topic, but the new file attachment utility pretty much sucks.
    yes, I have the CTON/OF in the online event for the dvr device and I am sending SP command for these. I also have the CTON set to 1 and the CTOF set to 3. I haven't tried to recapture the remote codes yet though.

the8thst : have you used this ir file specifically on the HR 24 after this update from Directv?
    yes, I have the CTON/OF in the online event for the dvr device and I am sending SP command for these. I also have the CTON set to 1 and the CTOF set to 3. I haven't tried to recapture the remote codes yet though.

the8thst : have you used this ir file specifically on the HR 24 after this update from Directv?

I am not 100% sure the boxes are not HR23's, but I have used this on about 10 boxes that are less than 1-2 weeks old. The IR file is one I put together myself with hex values from an RTI learner (which I think is the best IR learner available).
    the8thst wrote: »
    I am not 100% sure the boxes are not HR23's, but I have used this on about 10 boxes that are less than 1-2 weeks old. The IR file is one I put together myself with hex values from an RTI learner (which I think is the best IR learner available).

the new boxes HR24's are rounded with a touchglass face (no hard buttons )
    ir file

that new ir file did the trick, I guess the file I had had just enough repeats when captured to cause all other CTOn/CTOf settings to not help, thanks
    that new ir file did the trick, I guess the file I had had just enough repeats when captured to cause all other CTOn/CTOf settings to not help, thanks

I'm glad that solved the issues for you. The RTI IRpro is much better at learning IR than an Iris, and I use it for capturing all of my IR codes. It takes a little extra time to copy/paste the hex into IRedit, but I know the codes will work every time.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    the8thst wrote: »
    I'm glad that solved the issues for you. The RTI IRpro is much better at learning IR than an Iris, and I use it for capturing all of my IR codes. It takes a little extra time to copy/paste the hex into IRedit, but I know the codes will work every time.

Even better, a pronto panel. (especially with rc5/rc6)
  • summarellsummarell Posts: 1
    IR file

Hello,
    So I am also having the scroll problem with the new HR24 DVR only. I tried to download the file but it just redirects to this is not a valid link. I also do not have the RTI piece but will look into getting one. If you can please repost the IR file it would be a great help if it solves this problem.
    Thanks in advance
  • bwestlakebwestlake Posts: 82
    Download
    summarell wrote: »
    Hello,
    So I am also having the scroll problem with the new HR24 DVR only. I tried to download the file but it just redirects to this is not a valid link. I also do not have the RTI piece but will look into getting one. If you can please repost the IR file it would be a great help if it solves this problem.
    Thanks in advance

I just downloaded the attached file without issue. Try again.
  • sawtoothsawtooth Posts: 4
    I have fixed the repeat function issue with a combination of relearning the IR codes via the AMX IRIS, and also setting my pulse time to 300ms. I am having a similar issue with DVR functions, in that the DVR functions will not actually do anything until after three (consistently) presses of the function. The receiver will show that it has received the code via the blue front-panel LED blinking, and I can watch and see the AMX Ni- send out the IR code (the IR LED blinks), but the receiver only responds to the third function, after which the functions all work, until you wait a couple seconds and try it again. Then it all happens all over again - two presses nothing, third press and it "wakes up" and starts working again.

Anyone else have this problem? I have opened a new thread for this here:
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?7080-DirecTV-Samsung-HR-24-repeat-IR-codes-and-issues-with-DVR-functions!!
    sawtooth wrote: »
    I have fixed the repeat function issue with a combination of relearning the IR codes via the AMX IRIS, and also setting my pulse time to 300ms. I am having a similar issue with DVR functions, in that the DVR functions will not actually do anything until after three (consistently) presses of the function. The receiver will show that it has received the code via the blue front-panel LED blinking, and I can watch and see the AMX Ni- send out the IR code (the IR LED blinks), but the receiver only responds to the third function, after which the functions all work, until you wait a couple seconds and try it again. Then it all happens all over again - two presses nothing, third press and it "wakes up" and starts working again.

Anyone else have this problem? I have opened a new thread for this here:
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?7080-DirecTV-Samsung-HR-24-repeat-IR-codes-and-issues-with-DVR-functions!!

Did you try the IR file I uploaded to this thread?
    My experience has been that when you need to send multiple IR commands, the pulse timing is too short. Of course, that would make it a royal pain if you need to adjust it by command type. I suspect, rather, they were captured short in the first place. Here's a good test: IR captured too short won't repeat if held. Temporarily set the IR to a TO on a button press, then hold the button down. If the IR light just flashes once, instead of continuously, it was captured too short. The main effect of this is that no matter how long your pulse time, it still goes out short. Many times, they will still work, so it's not always obvious.
  • vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    Is there a final verdict on these h24 boxes? Just download the new IR file?
  • Joe TJoe T Posts: 10
    Thank you the8thst!
    vegastech wrote: »
    Is there a final verdict on these h24 boxes? Just download the new IR file?

It worked great for me, even with the emitter placed right over the IR pickup.

I did get some rare double hits, but a blocking hood fixed that.

Thanks for posting the file the8thst, it sved me a lot of time.

Joe