Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

NI4100 serial port lockup

I have a strange problem with a serial port on a NI4100 connected to a Symetrix DSP 8X8, sometimes I loose control of the audio processor. It shows transmit on button pushes but no receive. Cycle power on the audio proccessor doesn't change the receive status reboot and power cycle the master don't change anything either.
When I complie and reload the source file w/TKN it works. I get transmit and receive on all button pushes. Would you think the problem is in the master on the receive side?

Thanks for any suggestions

Brian

Comments

• Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Kouya wrote: »
    I have a strange problem with a serial port on a NI4100 connected to a Symetrix DSP 8X8, sometimes I loose control of the audio processor. It shows transmit on button pushes but no receive. Cycle power on the audio proccessor doesn't change the receive status reboot and power cycle the master don't change anything either.
    When I complie and reload the source file w/TKN it works. I get transmit and receive on all button pushes. Would you think the problem is in the master on the receive side?

Thanks for any suggestions

Brian

When this happens again it's easy to check. Hook up your laptop and check if the serial port is still receiving serial communication from your laptop. If not then it's the netlinx. (which seems most likely)
  • edgelitocedgelitoc Posts: 160
    are you using 2,3,5 pins only...
  • Are you doing any string parsing on receive from the Symetrix? Its possible that the 4100 is stuck in an infinite loop due to the way you are doing string parsing. I've had this issue before, mostly because I forgot to remove the string from the buffer before parsing it so that my while loop would actually end.
  • svTechsvTech Posts: 44
    What com port on the NI4100 are you using? There was an old issue on com 1 that would lock it up if you tried to pass to much data through its port.
  • KouyaKouya Posts: 60
    Boy you guys have some excellent suggestions,

Nerieru: I'll try the testing the com port the next service trip to the site.

edgelitoc: Looking at the RS232 run and noticed some issues ( NI4100 port 6 > manufactured cable pins 2,3,5 only > Gefen RS232 xmtr > Straight CAT5 about 50' > Gefen Rx > Premade serial cable > Symetrix 8X8 DSP).

Andrew: I'll look at the code to see what's happening with received communications.

SvTech: Port 6

I'll report back after I get back on site. I'm also plan to home room a test serial cable to take the Gefen's and premade cables out the loop.

Again thanks for your input.

Brian