Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Automatically loading different IR Files?

Hello,

we work on systems for boats which travel all around the world and are always needing to change satellite receivers on the fly.

Our other systems (on hardware from a manufacturer which will remain nameless :) ) we have 17 satellite IR files stacked, and we simply enable the current satellite receiver. Even if we squeezed all the receivers down with no empty IR codes, we won't have enough room in a single IRL file.

Is there any way to tell the master to load an IRL file?
________
TOYOTA TSUSHO HISTORY

Comments

• a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    deadken wrote: »
    Hello,

we work on systems for boats which travel all around the world and are always needing to change satellite receivers on the fly.

Our other systems (on hardware from a manufacturer which will remain nameless :) ) we have 17 satellite IR files stacked, and we simply enable the current satellite receiver. Even if we squeezed all the receivers down with no empty IR codes, we won't have enough room in a single IRL file.

Is there any way to tell the master to load an IRL file?

I've never tried this, but I don't see why you couldn't ftp them to the master. They need to be named correctly like irfile09, irfile10, etc but I can't see why it wouldn't work unless the master does something to it other than renaming it.
    Paul
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Unfortunately the master does appear to do something else to the files when they're transferred. I wasted a bit of time playing around with this a few months back.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Unfortunately the master does appear to do something else to the files when they're transferred. I wasted a bit of time playing around with this a few months back.

Shame. Did you try loading 8 IR files to the master, then copying them to a different folder on the master, then loading another 8 different IR files? Using the file_copy method you could then just copy them back into the irfile09 files dynamically as needed. That's the only other thing I can think of that might work.
    Paul
    I tried loading them with IREdit, ftping the irfilexx files off the master, cleaning the master then ftp those files back and didn't have any luck. My guess is that there must be some other data stashed elsewhere when an IR file is transferred.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    AFAIK the .irl files are loaded into the device and the ones on the master are just backup copies. I deleted the .irl files from my master and the IR ports still work without them.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I've heard of someone that downloads IRL files remotely via code. As to how he gets it loaded? I don't have a clue. But what you're after is possible.
    jjames wrote: »
    I've heard of someone that downloads IRL files remotely via code. As to how he gets it loaded? I don't have a clue. But what you're after is possible.

Ok, now I'm interested. Can you provide any more specifics? I suppose if you were to impliment icsp in a duet module you could get the master to connect to itself on port 1319 and emulate what file transfer / IREdit does.
    Sorry - I don't have any other specifics. I just know that he queries a remote database, and then downloads and installs the IR files remotely.

I think you could be on to something with the ICSP connection, but then you've gotta figure out the ICSP transfer protocol. Probably not fun.
    ICSP protocol. File transfer message command info is on page 38.
    Okay - forgot it was in there. I've read that thing back and forth several times over the years, but have never mustered up there energy to get anything going in Java (or .NET for that matter.)

I believe this was prior to the encryption of ICSP, which will present another issue if it's turned on.

P.S. - did you notice what is NOT listed in the file types? Netlinx token.
    Yeah, not sure how much of a chance us non-AMXers have at implimenting something that would play nice when encryption is enabled. AMX would definiately secure me as their bi-atch if they were to release an ICSP comms package in a future Duet SDK. Could allow for some nice things.

re: tkn's, I'm guessing they may either be ftp'ed or it was simply ommitted in that version of the doc. Would be interesting to WireShark a transfer and see what's happening.
    Well - look at when it was filed: 2000. Now look at when the NIs were first released: 2003.

Surely there've been modifications within that 3 year period, let alone now.

By the time you've got today's protocol, they'll have a different protocol out and this will be obsolete. Of course, you can always sniff it with Wireshark.
  • Icsp protocol from 2000 still works (unencrypted ofcourse)
    Icsp protocol from 2000 still works (unencrypted ofcourse)
    You say with such certainty . . . what do you know that you'd like share? :D I'm guessing you've got it working per this document with some other language. ;)
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    With compensation, I can implement this - either completely master-based or pc-based with IP comms to direct the PC to do something. Due to life issues I can't just do this just to do it. And yes, channel-based IR kinda sucks after using the stacked competition.

Edit: sans encryption. Don't know if this would be a concern.
    true wrote: »
    Due to life issues I can't just do this just to do it.
    Shucks, that what I was doing until 3:30 this morning! :p Have a little heart! (j/k)

Yeah, the whole idea isn't that difficult really. I may ACTUALLY work on it tonight to see if I can get it going.
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    Worse case 4 IR ports with running through 4 relays. 3-4 models stacked in an IR file. You would need to setup a table for stack position-IR port.

Kevin D.
    His issue is that there are not enough channels for all necessary codes. Spending more money on parts isn't a very good solution.
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    true wrote: »
    His issue is that there are not enough channels for all necessary codes.

I know. But you could easily fit 4 sets of codes into one file.
    Spending more money on parts isn't a very good solution.

Hence the "worse case" part of my reply.

What about a Global cache unit? Store all IR timings on the master and send them as needed. No limit on the number of channels as the timing can be dynamic.

Kevin D.
    A bit of a pain in the ***, but perhaps a pronto parser written in NetLinx? Hmm, all kinds of ways this can go...
  • svTechsvTech Posts: 44
    If you have a connected PC, you could use FileTransfer2's command line and a small java app triggered by Netlinx to transfer the IR files back to the master using FT2.

I haven't tried this from a program but using FT2's command line is no big deal.

Just a thought.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    In-NetLinx IR files

Side detail-
    The IR files you see in FTP in the NetLinx are created when you upload an IRL to an IR bank. They are not interactive, as mentioned, you can't affect the bank by changing or removing the "IR" file you see in the FTP view.

What they ARE for is to store the metadata that is in the uploaded IRL file, but isn't stored in the IR bank. This allows you to extract/download the IR file later, intact, using IREDIT. If you delete or change the FTP-side file, you won't be able to extract the IRL. It will still work with or without any of the FTP-viewable IR files.