Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Denon IP Control?

I wrting a module to control the Denon TU604 and my original intent was to control it via IP (coded for serial or IP depending on DEV.NUMBER) which so far seems a little unreliable since it tends to lock up or simply stops responding and occasionaly responds with a the wrong response for the command queried. If I query it for a slot 1 status (tuner slot 1) I sometimes get a response for a different slot number. I've never controlled a Denon product via IP before and I'm wondering if this problem I'm having is inherant to all Denon IP socket connections or maybe just this device.

Has anyone had good reliability with Denon IP comms with this or any other Denon device or should I abandon the IP socket route and just code for serial comms?

Comments

• Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    vining wrote: »
    I wrting a module to control the Denon TU604 and my original intent was to control it via IP (coded for serial or IP depending on DEV.NUMBER) which so far seems a little unreliable since it tends to lock up or simply stops responding and occasionaly responds with a the wrong response for the command queried. If I query it for a slot 1 status (tuner slot 1) I sometimes get a response for a different slot number. I've never controlled a Denon product via IP before and I'm wondering if this problem I'm having is inherant to all Denon IP socket connections or maybe just this device.

Has anyone had good reliability with Denon IP comms with this or any other Denon device or should I abandon the IP socket route and just code for serial comms?

I think I have one with a receiver, however I don't think we close the connection every time and just keep it open as if it were a serial connection.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Nerieru wrote: »
    I think I have one with a receiver, however I don't think we close the connection every time and just keep it open as if it were a serial connection.
    Yeah, Im maintaining the connection too and over the weekend it's seemed stable so maybe I was overloading the device with too many queries. The problem "I think" is that this device only supplies updates for the currently selected tuner slot (6 slots available) so in my code if multiple panels are "on page" for different slots I run a timeline that increases the repitition frequency as more slots are "on page" and then cycle through the "on page" slots setting them to the active slot and then sending them a status query for basically an RDS update. This might be too much for the device to handle. I guess I'll look into how this part works in a little more detail to see what's really necassary and not just assume what I think is necassary.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have posted on this before ... no doubt it's well buried by now. But I went through all this about a year ago, and came to some very definite conclusions.

The Denon IP connection will lock up if you leave it open perpetually. It doesn't matter what else you do. Sometimes it will stay OK for a few hours, sometimes a few days, but eventually it will just stop working, while actually staying connected; you won't get an offline event. It just won't work.

I didn't think making and breaking the connection for every command would be a good idea, both because of the inefficiency and because of the feedback. So, in my module, I set a timer. If there is no activity on the IP port for over five minutes, it closes the connection. When a command needs to be sent, it opens it again. There is no noticeable delay; it connects very quickly. As long as stuff is going on, it will remain connected, but after the five minutes of inactivity, it closes the port again.

I normally use Marantz receivers, and only have one Denon in the wild, but that solution has proven to be completely stable for it. I have not had to make a service call to reset the receiver, and I was originally making them a few times a week. There have been no customer complaints, and said customer is not contracted for a big expansion and a new theater room. So, in all, I think it was a success.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I have posted on this before ... no doubt it's well buried by now. But I went through all this about a year ago, and came to some very definite conclusions.

The Denon IP connection will lock up if you leave it open perpetually. It doesn't matter what else you do. Sometimes it will stay OK for a few hours, sometimes a few days, but eventually it will just stop working, while actually staying connected; you won't get an offline event. It just won't work.

I didn't think making and breaking the connection for every command would be a good idea, both because of the inefficiency and because of the feedback. So, in my module, I set a timer. If there is no activity on the IP port for over five minutes, it closes the connection. When a command needs to be sent, it opens it again. There is no noticeable delay; it connects very quickly. As long as stuff is going on, it will remain connected, but after the five minutes of inactivity, it closes the port again.

I normally use Marantz receivers, and only have one Denon in the wild, but that solution has proven to be completely stable for it. I have not had to make a service call to reset the receiver, and I was originally making them a few times a week. There have been no customer complaints, and said customer is not contracted for a big expansion and a new theater room. So, in all, I think it was a success.

Thanks Dave I'll keep your suggestion in mind should I determine I'm not causing the lock up by over polling or something. I'll probably maintain the connection if any TP is on page just for the RDS feedback and wait 5 minutes or so after all TPs are "off page" which should be most of the time.
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    Mine is similar - if there's no activity after a couple of minutes, the connection is closed. The difference with my module is that it is re-opened, my thinking being that if control happens over a latent network, delay might be noticeable. Since I've only used it on LANs though, it really makes no difference...

I've too noticed the keep-it-open-and-it-fails mode of operation, hence this addition to my module. By the way, it works well.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    The Denon IP connection will lock up if you leave it open perpetually.

I should've said that I'm using vantage to control it, but the connection doesn't lock up for me. I don't know the model number, but it's been working for over a year now.