Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Nuvico Protocols?

Has anyone worked with the Nuvico AL Series DVR? I can't find the control protocol anywhere, and their tech support so far is saying there's no protocol document available. They're listed as a Creströn partner, so I would think they must be able to interface with an automation controller. Their joystick controller uses an RS485 protocol and there's webviewer software written in java and active-x.

Thanks!

--John

Comments

• Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I ended up resorting to simple IR control for switching cameras because I couldn't find any info on their control protocol.

Hopefully you will have better luck than I did.

Let me know if you want me to post the IRL file for you.
  • Options
    Thanks the8thst, I may hit you up for the IRL file if I don't get anywhere.

Nuvico said no protocol doc existed and now they're ignoring my response email where I told them that their joystick controller uses an RS485 protocol to control the DVR so surely the command and protocol exists. This is a remote job and I'm going to see if I can get the security cam guys to switch DVRs.

I hate when companies don't make it easy to control their gear. A message to everyone... if Nuvico is an option for you, choose something else!

I'll update if I get any further.

--John
  • Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Sounds like par for the course with security guys.

The Nuvico does have a cool feature where it will automatically email a screen grab from the front door camera to the owner every time the doorbell is pressed.

I don't know if other DVRs have that feature, but it is a pretty popular feature when presented to a lot of our clients.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    If the joystick is 485, it's entirely possible the entire protocol is standard camera PTZ control. I've attached the Speco DVR protocol, which uses standard commands; it may be worth trying.
  • Options
    Thanks Dave. I'll give this a shot. I wish these manufacturers would just make it simple. Seriously, what am I going to do, knockoff their joystick and put them out of business?

Definite thumbs down from me on Nuvico, even if it can email a front door photo.

-John
  • Options
    IRL file

I am in need of that IR file -- would you still be willing to post?

Thanks
    the8thst wrote: »
    I ended up resorting to simple IR control for switching cameras because I couldn't find any info on their control protocol.

Hopefully you will have better luck than I did.

Let me know if you want me to post the IRL file for you.