Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Not soon enough. Goodbye HDMI, hellooooo HDBaseT

HDMI's short-lived reign over the TV cable racks could soon be over, thanks to a new usurper that combines several connections into a single, standard network cable.

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/7/1/tv-business-kisses-hdmi-goodbye/

Comments

• jcereckejcerecke Posts: 40
    Looks awesome. Doesn't carry surround sound yet though, and it better be easy to get the right source to the right tv if there's multiple of each on the network.
    Haha I can just imagine network administrators everywhere cringing over all the non-computer devices that are going to end up on their networks in the near future. EMBRACE!
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Nice!

@jcerecke
    I don't see the lack of audio as an issue, especially in an integrated system as the audio and video signal paths are usually heading to different places anyway.
    Also, although it uses the same medium it doesn't look as though it's IP based. Wouldn't like to see what happens when somebody messes up and patches one of these runs complete with 100W of juice into a router/NIC.
    jcerecke wrote: »
    Haha I can just imagine network administrators everywhere cringing over all the non-computer devices that are going to end up on their networks in the near future.
    Near future? I get cringed at every day (sometimes it even relates to the above issue).
  • jcereckejcerecke Posts: 40
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Also, although it uses the same medium it doesn't look as though it's IP based.
    True, however the same cable is also capable of carrying 100BaseT alongside the AV/Power. So this would mean you either patch it from device to device directly for the AV+power or patch it into your Network for network access to your devices but not both? That can't be the case surely.
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Near future? I get cringed at every day (sometimes it even relates to the above issue).
    Haha if I get cringed at, it mostly relates to all the 'strange devices' that I want to put onto the network.