Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Waiting to get online.. On serial connection

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm using an usb to serial connector, but everytime I try to connect to a master with netlinx studio I get the following messages

- Waiting to connect
passes
- Waiting to get online
after 15 seconds it says it can't connect.

has anyone else had this issue, or been able to resolve it?

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Nerieru wrote: »
    Does anyone else have this issue? I'm using an usb to serial connector, but everytime I try to connect to a master with netlinx studio I get the following messages

- Waiting to connect
    passes
    - Waiting to get online

There is a long history of odd behavior with the USB<>Serial dongles. Some work great and others don't. It also has a lot to do with your computer of choice too. I've heard people have great luck with brand X USB-Serial Dongle, but plug the same thing into a different computer with different chip set and it quits working.

I still to this day try to buy laptops and desktops that have the good ole-fashioned 9-pin connectors on them.

Some general helpful hints is to try and change the i/o port number. You might see a larte list of available port numbers (3-15) Try selecting each one until it works. You might have to also go into device manager and goof with those settings too.

Sorry to be vague but it is what it is.
    e
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I have never found the USB -> Serial adapters to be very robust or reliable, but I was tired of buying antiquated (or overly expensive rugged) laptops.

I ended up getting a Dell Latitude because it had a docking connector and I found a port expander that utilizes the docking connector on the laptop to add all of the legacy ports one might need. It adds a DB9, parallel port, ps2, etc natively through the docking connector.

Here is a link: http://tinyurl.com/yb6lytu

The port expander is super light, small, and easy to carry around in the car with me. The adapter can also be foundon ebay pretty regularly for under $30. It has also worked every time I have needed a serial connection (netlinx master, axxess master, viewport touch panel, DVDO firmware updates, etc).
  • banobano Posts: 173
    Keyspan

Try Keyspan usb to serial adapter
    Nerieru wrote: »

- Waiting to connect
    passes
    - Waiting to get online

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The best one I have used is the Keyspan ... but they made several versions, and one of them wouldn't connect to a Vista or Win7 PC. Unfortunately, I don't have a model number or revision number for which is which. My latest laptop has a serial port, so I haven't needed mine in a while.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    The best one I have used is the Keyspan ... but they made several versions, and one of them wouldn't connect to a Vista or Win7 PC. Unfortunately, I don't have a model number or revision number for which is which. My latest laptop has a serial port, so I haven't needed mine in a while.

I have a keyspan. Tried other ones, but I can't find the brands of the darn things. None seem to be working with AMX.

I'm seriously pained by the crap they call usb-serial converters and their drivers. As I have had several working on one occasion, then doing nothing on the next.
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Use a PCMCIA Serial Card instead. Works with everything.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    Use a PCMCIA Serial Card instead. Works with everything.

That reminds me.... I have a 2-Port Startech PCMCIA serial adapter I don't need anymore. Send me a PM and I will sell it to you cheap.