Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

MVP8400

Hi All,

So went to do an upgrade on the firmware, but half way through, it said there was not enough space! The panel went back to the normal screen. However, on rebooting the device later on, I'm just getting a blue light and a black screen..

Is it dead? Will I need to arrange for AMX to flash the compact flash card? Not really sure if this is going to be an option..

Cheers

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Yup, box it up and send it in.
  • mushmush Posts: 287
    gdbagley wrote: »
    Hi All,

So went to do an upgrade on the firmware, but half way through, it said there was not enough space! The panel went back to the normal screen. However, on rebooting the device later on, I'm just getting a blue light and a black screen..

Is it dead? Will I need to arrange for AMX to flash the compact flash card? Not really sure if this is going to be an option..

Cheers

G'day Graeme,

Try this..
    Remove both batteries and power cable and wait for a few seconds.
    Re-install the batteries and see if it boots up.
    If it does, go into protected setup and 'Remove User Pages '
    Reboot panel.
    Re-attempt firmware upgrade.

This has worked for me in the past.

Good luck!
  • ColinColin Posts: 51
    Dead MVP

Yup, just had that happen to me although it just stopped responding, sent it in to AMX Australia and the unit has to go back to AMX USA - at a cost and Ouch what a cost.

Lesson learn't, do not use the clients network and remove all user pages (after backing it up)
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    It amazes me that this happens at all. Wouldn't the first step of a file transfer be to verify that the space required is available? If not abort. Why does the transfer start, transfer most of the files and then come up with the insuffecient memory warning.

Why after all this time are we still dealing with insuffecient memory? It's the cheapest stuff in the world yet everytime I need to transfer files to a TP I need to purge the user pages and sometime delete portions of the TPD4 file in order to get the file through and then add back the files removed, why? Why when we pay for Ferrari performance and reliability do we get Toyota's with gas pedal glitches?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It's entirely possible the CF just failed while loading. I've had quite a few go bad on me; some on boot-up, and one or two on loading firmware. If it's going bad, any write can trigger the failure. I also find it very hard to believe it actually ran out of memory. There is a ton of free memory in an 8400, even the older ones using a 64M CF. I really think it just died on you.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    What everyone is describing is true. I've had some panels apparently dead, combe back to life after sitting without a battery for 24 hours.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    It's entirely possible the CF just failed while loading. I've had quite a few go bad on me; some on boot-up, and one or two on loading firmware. If it's going bad, any write can trigger the failure. I also find it very hard to believe it actually ran out of memory. There is a ton of free memory in an 8400, even the older ones using a 64M CF. I really think it just died on you.

I don't now, I often get the insuffecient memory thing during file ttransfers both firmware and TPD4 files. I'll remove user pages and often I have to remove images that I use for backgrounds just to get it to squeek by if it's a full load of a TPD4 file. Once I have the files loaded I can add them back by just doing a smart trnasfer. I use a lot of graphics and pages and obviously not very efficiently but memory is a lot cheaper than my time.

I think my problems have been mainly with the older 8400s and the 5200is. They've never died on me though.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Hm, maybe I just don' use as many graphics as others, but I have never run out of panel memory, even on the old panels with the 64M CF card. That said, it still should have been correctable by deleting the old pages, cleaning up the files, whatever, and re-loading it. The fact that it won't boot afterward suggests to me that it was a CF failure, not a true out-of-memory.