Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

NON-AMX Thread: Where to eat?

Inspired be JJames (and Dave's response), I decided that this topic needed to be separated. Occasionally, I have to go out of town to work on a project or attend training or a tradeshow, so I figured we could have a list of places to visit when in town. List your favorite local places to eat, visit or avoid. Also feel free to list places you have been elsewhere that they might take for granted :)

Detroit Area:

Food-
Grape Leaves in Troy, MI - Middle Eastern Cuisine - $8-12 lunch, $15-20ish dinner. (They offer Hummus with their lunches instead of rice or fries, but occasionally ... most of the time ... forget to mention this :) ) http://www.grapeleavesrestaurant.com

Slow's Bar BQ in Detroit, MI - Guess :) - $15-25 dinner. Can get packed, so might have to wait a while....especially if there is a home game. http://slowsbarbq.com

Lazy Bones Smokehouse in Roseville, MI - $8-15 lunch and dinner. http://www.lazybonessmokehouse.net/

Big Rock Chop House in Troy, MI - $25-50 dinner. http://www.bigrockchophouse.com

San Diego Area:

Kaito Sushi in Encinitas, CA - $30-50 Omakase dinner at the bar (only way to do it!). This place is tucked in a strip mall and is almost impossible to find unless you know it (No sign on the awning, only in the window). They only serve in-season items and nothing is ever frozen. They get their main deliveries on Tuesday and Saturday and supplemental deliveries daily according to a regular (who brought his own special soy sauce). They have a twitter feed that details the days unique offerings at times. This was hands down the BEST sushi bar I have ever been to! But, don't go here sit at a table and order a California roll and then tell me the place sucked ;) To put the price in perspective, my previous trip to the area I ate at a "higher end" sushi bar and paid $60 for the meal (I was expecting about $35ish). Based on that experience, I was ready to look at a bill for $80-120 for the meal I had at Kaito Sushi .... and I would have gladly paid it! http://sushikaito.com

Jeff

P.S.
The Sushi bar meal is a treat I give myself near the end of a job (if there is good sushi in the area) and it generally balances my food budget for the trip given the skipped meals and meals comprised of left-overs :) And no, I don't bill the client for the meal either.

Comments

• Options
    Wish I'd have known you were going to be in San Diego... I'd have offered to take you out to lunch! Cool thread idea, I'll give my contributions when I get some time.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Here's a few misc places.

Kansas City, Missouri (my old hometown)

Gates BBQ $10-$15 a plate.
    Arthur Bryant's BBQ $8-$15 a plate.

Omaha, Nebraska
    Drovers Steak House
    $20-$40 a plate. Best steak EVAH!

El Alamo
    very authentic Mexican
    $7-$15 a plate. Nice vibe in South 'O'

Lincoln, Nebraska
    The Oven - Southern India quisine. $15-$30 a plate.
    Lazlo's - (american, but done very well.) $10-$20 a plate
    Yia's Yia's (pronounced Yah Yahs) eclectic italian pizza. put your pre-concieved notions aside and enjoy pizza anew...

Charleston, SC (This place has great food!)
    Sea Food
    Gilligan's (local chain but good food.) $10-$20 a plate.
    Fleet Landing - Downtwon Charleston. Bistro-ish local sea food.$10-$25 a plate
    Hanks - good raw bar. $30-$50 a plate

Other
    Triangle Grill - Bison burgers are great. $7-$15
    Queen Anne's Revenge - variety Americana and others.
    The Oak - very high end steak house and gourmet. Unreal! $50-$150 a plate. Need to impress or be impressed? this is the place for you.

I'll put in more later of other cities I've been to.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    St. Louis, MO Area
    Pi Pizzeria - If you're in STL and do not want STL-style pizza (super thin crust, sweet pizza sauce . . . yuck!) and want some Chicago-Style instead, I *HIGHLY* recommend this one. $12-$20 per pizza. Prices on website.(Kirkwood, MO)

Brick House Tavern and Tap - Okay, first off, NOT a family style restaurant. Think of it as an "upscale-Hooters" to be honest. The scenery is great, and the beer if VERY cold - the food is great too (and cheap!)! If you don't drink much, you could escape spending less than $15 for dinner. (I know these are around the country - but I gotta mention it for the food. ;)) (Chesterfield, MO)

Lake of the Ozarks, MO
    Not sure why anyone would be stompin' in my backyard - but if you come to visit me....HAHA! :D

Michael's Steak Chalet
    Quite expensive restaurant, but best the prime rib I've ever had. They cook it for 16 hours, so it's super tender . . . melts in your mouth. $40+ (Osage Beach, MO)

Kay's Restaurant
    For breakfast - voted best in the Lake area I think at least 10 years? Something like that. They have an all-you-can-eat special for $7.99 - but it's not a buffet. You re-order your food, so it's fresh everytime. (Their french toast is to die for!) (Osage Beach, MO)

Kansas City
    Oklahoma Joe's BBQ
    Great BBQ - always packed for lunch, get ready to wait a little bit.

Charlie Hoopers
    Kind of a hole-in-the-wall, but aren't those some of the best? Great lunch specials too! They're hot dogs are great (okay, the way they dress them!)

Detroit Area
    Jeff has this one covered, but I thought I'd throw in some of my favorite places to eat whenever I visit my hometown area.

Rio Wraps
    If you're not in the mood for a burger or fast food, but want something that can be healthy, stop at a Rio Wraps.

Tomato Brothers
    If you're out on the west side of Detroit (okay, closer to Lansing that Detroit!) and want some darn good pizza - try this place. We make a stop every time we're up there. (Howell, MI)

B Bline Bar & Grill
    Sorry for all the pizza places, but here's another good one! Again, far-far west of Detroit. (Howell, MI)

I'll add more as I think of them.
  • Options
    truetrue Posts: 307
    Las Vegas, NV

* Capriotti's (sub shop, ~$7 for 9", ~$8.50 for 12", ~$13 for 20") - multiple locations in town; the closest near the strip is west of the strip on Sahara Ave in the same area as the Golden Steer. When I was making good money I would eat this about four times per week. Best subs, period.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    San Francisco: Beatlenut
    Not sure if it's still there, it was four years ago. As I remember, Asian-Indian fusion.
  • Options
    travistravis Posts: 180
    hattiesburg MS
    keg and barrel
  • Options
    vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    Las Vegas!

True is right - Cap's is awesome!
    Stripburger on Las Vegas Blvd across the street from Wynn and Encore. Burgers are all under $10, it's outside with a great view of the strip traffic. Sweet Potato and regular fries. In summer they have fans and misters going, and in the winter they have heaters going. Very fun time!
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Anyone have any NYC Recommendations? I am headed there in a few weeks and I know there has to be at least one hole-in-the-wall place that is absolutely amazing :)

So far, the only food I remember well from my last trip was The Stage Deli. I loved the sauce they have there. (I was not so impressed with Carnegie Deli).

My last trip, I found great tunes and plenty of beer at The Living Room. The Bitter End wasn't bad either.

Jeff