Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Bag of goodies

I'm looking to get a new computer bag and am tired of not having enough space to fit the things I need in it. Someone had suggested this one. It is definitely large and could fit everything I need in there. This is a two question post, so here's the first question: what bag do you have and would recommend it? What don't you like about it?

Second part - what do you consider essential tools when going to a job site. Let me preface this by saying I do programming 98% of the time, and the other two percent is supplying parts to the techs or actually getting "down and dirty" by installing a keypad (ooooooh!!! HAHA!). I typically try to carry the following (in no particular order)

50-100' terminated cat5 cable
Straight through DB9
Null DB9
USB drive
Windows OS disks (and various other software)
USB cables
some kind of access point (and/or) wireless router
CF cards
iPod
DVD
Bluray disc
VCR tape
CD

Now obviously I don't and can't carry everything listed, so somethings get cut (particularly the media types.) Mind you, the vehicle I use is mine and stuff with family stuff - so I don't get the pleasure of a million compartments in a company van and my wife won't let me load up the Jeep with stuff used Monday-Friday. So - what do you make sure is in your bag of goodies?

Comments

• svTechsvTech Posts: 44
    I use that very bag and it is great. Big enough to hold what I need, but not too big to fit on an airplane or to be carried up a flight of stairs.
  • pauldpauld Posts: 106
    I also have that bag, and I am very happy with it. It has all the room that I need with enough extra for the day-to-day stuff.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Bag wise - any backpack with a padded laptop compartment. Most have more than enough space for a fairly comprehensive kit, easilly go on a plane and leave your hands free for carrying any other equipment.

The essentionals kit:
    - laptop (w/ charger)
    - some form of mobile net connection (usually via bluetooth PAN to mobile)
    - bluetooth mouse
    - bluetooth RS-232 port (x 2 if possible to allow usage as temp cable replacement)
    - RS-232 cross over adpater
    - nice long network cable
    - various usb cables
    - side cutters
    - zip ties
    - small screwdriver kit
    - test media (for both read and write where applicable)

If there's any DSP config required then this also includes a decent measurment mic and an analyser with at least an SPL meter and FFT tool.

For more 'serious' installs, or if it requires any hardware swap outs all of our guys have a hard case, lockable toolkit (GT cases are awesome) with full screw driver kits, soldering iron, various terminations, crimpers, pliers, multimeter, and other paraphinalia. These are solid and secure enough to be checked lugged, or shipped out to sites where luggage capacity is limited.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I'm a backpack or satchel kinda person myself too. I like baggage that I can keep my arms free and something that staps to my body. It looks kinda 'colleg-y' buy I don't care.

Right now I have a book satchel made by Tug. However, it was damaged here and I"m actually looking at what you're looking at Jeremiah.

e
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm sing a Targa bag that I got at Comp USA and has outlived 3 laptops. It's getting a bit frayed, and the zipper tags broke off from age (I replaced them with keyrings), but it still does the job.

I carry, besides the laptop itself and a heavy-duty power supply:
    - a crossover RS-232 cable and a straight-through, plus one of every imaginable gender-bender.
    - long USB cables, normal device type and a mini USB
    - a WiSpy spectrum analyser
    - half a dozen various programming cords for older AMX, Universal, and C-tron, plus a couple odd balls
    - two custom DB9 to DB25 cables for older Panasonic KSUs and voice mail
    - a wireless mouse (I hate laptop scratch pads, as I call them)
    - a handful of misc. mini-phoenix connectors
    - a couple of emitters, and a whole pack of emitter sticky pads and hoods
    - a test DVD (need to get a BluRay too now) disc ... currently Fifth Element, but I need some variety soon :)
    - an assortment of mini screwdrivers and tools suitable for connector blocks, nothing major
    - whatever customer files (the paper ones) I am currently working on, and a clipboard pad for notes, etc.
    - a microfiber cloth to wipe down after a dusty job, or get the fingerprints off a customer's remote or new TV

I think that about covers it, neglecting whatever I happen to toss in their for pure convenience on a day-to-day basis. With all the cords and connectors, it weighs a half ton. If I have a long way to carry it, I need to visit the chiropractor later to be able to stand up straight again.
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I'm a backpack or satchel kinda person myself too. I like baggage that I can keep my arms free and something that staps to my body. It looks kinda 'colleg-y' buy I don't care.

Right now I have a book satchel made by Tug. However, it was damaged here and I"m actually looking at what you're looking at Jeremiah.

e

... not that anyone cares...

Bag update on my part.

I just bought a Targus Clamshell Platinum with the "Dome Protection System"

I'm traveling next week by both car and plane. We'll see how it stands up.

CPT400.gif
  • Can't comment on the bag recommendation, I use an el cheapo bag to disguise my skill :).

For the things to carry inside the bag for just troubleshooting/pickup work, I would add:
    • A roll of Velcro Straps -- you always seem to need those
    • USB Adapters (I carry these instead of multiple usb cables)
    • Spare CF card (Keeps my pulserate down during firmware upgrades knowing I don't have to worry about bricking a unit).
    • A few unpunched male and female RJ45 to DB9 connectors

Oh, and chocolate covered espresso beans. Amazing how often those come in handy.

--John
  • Cool bag Eric.

Wanted to add booties/shoe coverings to the list. Not so critical in commercial, but in resi I consider it a must have. I make all my guys carry them to show respect to the clients and their home. Good to have in the computer bag, glove compartment, etc...

--John
    Cool bag Eric.

Wanted to add booties/shoe coverings to the list. Not so critical in commercial, but in resi I consider it a must have. I make all my guys carry them to show respect to the clients and their home. Good to have in the computer bag, glove compartment, etc...

--John

Booties: I'm thinking of taking them into the airport with me. Let's be honest... The TSA check points are pretty gross. We call them the 'National Foot Fungus Exhange Center .' I don't know if they'll let me wear my booties, but I'ma gonna try this time.
  • ericmedley wrote: »
    Booties: I'm thinking of taking them into the airport with me. Let's be honest... The TSA check points are pretty gross. We call them the 'National Foot Fungus Exhange Center .' I don't know if they'll let me wear my booties, but I'ma gonna try this time.

Stay away from the Richard Reid branded ones...
    :)
    Stay away from the Richard Reid branded ones...
    :)

Yeah, I'd support his prison sentence being confined to one of TSA spaces. Preferably one with old carpet. The punishment should fit the crime.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    With all the cords and connectors, it weighs a half ton. If I have a long way to carry it, I need to visit the chiropractor later to be able to stand up straight again.

This is exactly why I use the bag jjames is considering. Anything on the shoulder is just asking for trouble -- wheels are a must.

I also carry
    - IRIS
    - Flashlight
    - Extension cord

I also have a secondary bag with more installer-type gear that I bring if I am going to a job that may not have an installer readily available. I'd rather get my hands dirty and get the job done than stand around waiting for someone qualified to run a screwdriver.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I use a normal messenger bag style laptop bag for my day to day operations. Inside it simply has:
    a laptop and power supply
    small LED flashlight
    leatherman
    small screwdriver kit.

In the car I have a small box of spare parts with:
    wireless access point
    serial cable with an assortment of gender changers and a null modem adapter
    legacy port expander for the laptop
    zigbee gateway
    R4 charging cradle
    Tool Bag with the standard hand tools, crimpers, butane soldering iron, etc.

90% of the time my laptop bag is the only thing that I need to bring into the job, so I like having seperate bags to keep everything light and small. I do have a small suitcase that fits my tool bag perfectly that I use when I have to fly out to a job site.
  • toddttoddt Posts: 28
    I carry a MacPro laptop with Windows 7 in boot camp. (Waiting on the Mac release of Studio and TP4, holding breath!)
    Airport Express
    USB to serial port cable
    AMX Programming Cable with old Viewport cable
    Network cable or 2
    Straight 9 pin cable
    A Kramer Video Null modem adaptor
    USB cable
    spare IR emitter or 2
    Mouse
    Content for testing
    USB drive
    All in a Swiss Army backpack

All works great.
  • WazzaWazza Posts: 8
    I use an old hard case that came with an Extron test unit. I just cut the foam to suit. It actually had the misfortune of flying out of a moving car (with laptop inside) and didn't damage a thing.

P.S. I noticed everyones gear list...doesn't anyone carry a multimeter? I couldn't get by without one.

Wazza
  • samossamos Posts: 106
    Swiss Army Bag

I use the Swiss Army bag, and just like the knife this thing has everything. Just Google swiss army laptop bag

http://www.bagsdirect.com/images/Products/Wenger%20Swiss%20Gear/250/wenger-swiss-gear-synergy-laptop-bag-backpack.jpg

just an Idea on what I carry

5 cat5 cables in range from 5 to 100 feet
    4 RJ45 to db9 adapters 2M 2F one of each straight and one cross
    a USB to cat five extender.
    USB to serial adapter
    WAP and router
    5 db 9 null modem adapters(like gender changer but flips pins 2 & 3 7 & 8) to test installer cables.
    Toy Story(Blu-ray ad DVD special edition)
    iPhone with video out cable
    display port to HDMI (new for tha digital age) used to test laptop over HDMI.
    hmdi cable
    dvi cable
    vga with audio cable
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    Wazza wrote: »
    I use an old hard case that came with an Extron test unit. I just cut the foam to suit. It actually had the misfortune of flying out of a moving car (with laptop inside) and didn't damage a thing.

P.S. I noticed everyones gear list...doesn't anyone carry a multimeter? I couldn't get by without one.

Wazza

The DMM is part of my standard hand tool bag. I didn't think they were really optional.