Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

MVP replacement batteries?

I brought out two new battery packs for two MVP8400s, as a client called stating they don't hold a charge anymore. I installed a battery in one of the panels(I pulled the one old battery that wasn't holding a charge out of the two), and put it into its table dock, but the charging status light didn't change to the highlighted blue color. Is this normal? The panel popped up with the docked message.

I installed the second battery pack in battery bay 2 of another panel, but that panel didn't recognize the 2nd battery. The old battery had the same problem. This panel is in an in-wall dock, but when I dock it, it doesn't pop up with the docked message. Is THIS normal? First time dealing with wall docks.

Comments

• vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    2nd battery fix!

Ok, I guess I should have looked at the battery terminals on the MVP board - apparently they were turned up so that the battery could not make contact! With that bent back into place, the battery is now recognized. The in-wall popped up once with the docked message, but it seems like it doesn't happen all the time - do the terminals start to wear after a few years in the dock?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    vegastech wrote: »
    Ok, I guess I should have looked at the battery terminals on the MVP board - apparently they were turned up so that the battery could not make contact! With that bent back into place, the battery is now recognized. The in-wall popped up once with the docked message, but it seems like it doesn't happen all the time - do the terminals start to wear after a few years in the dock?

I've never noticed wear with normal use, but I have seen them bent if the customer is not in the habit of docking them carefully ... but it's really hard to do. I have also seen (once) a factory defect where the contact point on the panel was installed crooked from the factory and prevented a good connection.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    I've seen a number of wall docks for 8400's that, in conjunction with manufacturing tolerances on the panels themselves, won't reliably dock when a touchpanel is put in. We've RMA'ed a few in the past for this reason.

When the panel doesn't dock they just go flat in the wall dock. Sometimes pushing sideways on the panel in the wall dock is enough to get the panel to dock and start charging if this happens.

Aside from manufacturing issues, poor installation can also prevent panels docking. If the dock is screwed to the wall too hard it will bow and the panel generally won't dock.