Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

MVP-8400i and MVP-WDS Mating

So I have an older MVP-8400i and a newer MVP-WDS. The electrical contact is very poor. I beleive others have had this issue. Does anyone know in which device modifications need to be made? And if so, what is modified?

Thanks.

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    If I recall I had to do this once. I beleive I just placed a shim under the circuit board which the contacts are fastened to on the MVP. It was easy enough to do and haven't had an issue since.

What's the problem? I was having an issue that started last week after a firmware updte to the lastest for the MVP-8400 and ever since I would get the "panel is docked" pop up every couple of minutes when in the WDS. I rolled back the firmware today to an earlier version and all is well again. Except the Wi-Fi signal indication that is. I can't keep do this to myself but for some reason I still update the firmware despite the aggravation it causes me, I guess I need to see how bad I can F' myself by doing it.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Were you shimming the contacts deeper down into the WDS or shimming them toward the back?
    I really don't remember but I think there's a post about it somewhere but I couldn't find it. Just eyeball it, I think it was somewhat apparent once I looked for this problem. I believe DHawthorne first suggested that this may be my problem so I eyeballed it and sure enough I could see the pins didn't line up.
    It appears that shimming would only serve to move the contacts toward the rear of the panel. Sound familiar?
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Call AMX Tech support. This is a known issue (or should be at this point). Originally 8400s and docks were not made to the specs on the print, but it was universally screwed up. The newer panels and docks are being made to the correct spec and have problems when being mixed with the older batches. At least, this is what I was told.

Jeff
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    Call AMX Tech support.

Not all of us have this luxury.

The most they could tell me was to send in both items and that there would be fees involved. Further, I really don't want to take them out of service.

Vining gave a hint toward the fix. I'm trying to pin it down further.
    Not all of us have this luxury.

The most they could tell me was to send in both items and that there would be fees involved. Further, I really don't want to take them out of service.

Vining gave a hint toward the fix. I'm trying to pin it down further.

Yeah don't you just love that. Even if you're calling about "their" problems you can't talk to anyone form TS cuz as soon as you enter your AMX ID they re-direct you to inside sales and then you either need to pay or justify your reasons for wanting to talk to TS. One of the most self destructive policies I've come across and the genius that came up with that plan should be kicked in the a$$ and fired. It's like dealers are knocking down the doors in order to sell AMX gear now a days and yet they see fit to discourage the dealers they already have from continuing with their line.

Although I've personally made it out of the BS zone it's still a BS policy, implimented by BS execs w/o a shred of common sense and probably not much experience in real world matters.
    Trying not to deviate too far from topic here...

I agree with your thoughts. I don't take it quite so personally though as there is not much I can do about it. The level of service given to me from AMX is simply passed down to the end user. It has been my experience that end users of control systems associate their quality of experience much more with the system manuafacturer than they do with the dealer. Time will sort this all out.

Anyway, if you could remember any more details of your MVP fix, they would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • So here's what I found. When the panel is in the dock, the panel contacts are too far out (away from the back of the dock). I put several small washers under the circuit board around the two screws next to the dock contacts which served to moved the contacts further into the dock. The front bezel now has a slight bulge in the middle, but charging contact is reliable.

There didn't seem to be an easy way to adjust the contacts in the dock.