Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Maximum number of NI-XXXX

As the Title says:

Whats the maximum number of NI-XXXX Controllers one could stack in a single network?
Let's say we're talking about a class A network like 10.0.0.0

I know the network limits, but.. is there a limit for the Controllers themselves, like in the routing table of the controllers, just wondering this.

Comments

• If you are in a master-to-master relationship, then your number is 200. This is listed as a "constraint" in TN#919. Clever routing in terms of "master to master" relationship of different degrees will expand the number quite a bit.
    If they are just sitting on the same network, without intercommunicating, then probably you can have as many as available addresses.
  • Must be a nice project when you have to ask this kind of question :)

--John
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    I remember when the question came up in a programmer class, Paul (teacher) commented that if anyone ever encountered a project where the maximum number of masters was truly required to call him. He would program it and then retire.

Kevin D.
  • ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    Thank you Felix,

That document was completely what I was looking for!
    So basically the controller can accept up to 250 direct TCP/IP connections, and 50 of those connections are reserved already (25 for internal services and 25 for ip_client/server_open() connections, if you have more then 25 ip_client/server_open() connections, these will start to get removed from the remaining 200)
    So each Controller can have a max of 200 Master-2-Master connections, unless you use a Cluster Topology, having hops between controllers (avoiding many hops, since it could easily create a lot of excess traffic).

So If I got this right, you could use a Star Topology with a Central Controller in the Middle, and having like 10 Controllers with direct logical connections to it.
    Then You could have 50 controllers connect to each of the 10 outside controllers.

This would add up to 500 controllers with a max of 4 Hops between Controllers.

In a routing point of view, this works without a problem, my question is: Is the Master 2 Master relationship mantained between all Controllers even if they aren't directly on the URL List? They will most definetly be on the routing table I suppose, as this looks like a RIP routing.

@John and Kevin
    Well, 'till the moment the project is still well... a project :)
    I'll update this post in the event that it goes forward, but I wouldn't be reaching the maximum number of controllers anyway (more like near 160). At the moment it's just some limitation questions that I would like to see cleared in my mind.
  • Prodigal wrote: »
    Well, 'till the moment the project is still well... a project :)
    I'll update this post in the event that it goes forward, but I wouldn't be reaching the maximum number of controllers anyway (more like near 160). At the moment it's just some limitation questions that I would like to see cleared in my mind.
    Sweet! I hope it goes through!