Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Axlink Buffer's responsibilities.

Got a question on what falls into the Axlink buffer. Got a job with a NI3100 that will seems to lock up after two days or so.

Symptom is none of the hard ports work, Axlink buffer is full at 800. Only error is like "Error sending message, retry 0" It counts 0,1,2 several times and then flushes the buffer. Rebooting is the only solution.

All IP based communication works fine through this. The only thing on Axlink is an Anterius RFID reader on about 200 feet of true Axlink cable. I removed the code for the RFID, still locks up. I've now moved the reader to the rack on about 6 inches of axlink cable and waiting to see if it still locks up.

The main reason I'm wondering if anything else can fill the axlink buffer up is because more often then not the cable boxes will need to be power cycled after it locks up. They are just ran IR off the master. I'm curious if bad IR or commands to the IR ports can lock the master up, which then keep sending out invalid IR data that lock the cable boxes up????

Kevin D.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    In almost every issue I've had with AxLink, the issue was always my fault. Things like devices addresses stoming on each other. (ex: An AXB-IR box takes up 4 AxLink device numbers) Or, I miswired the transmit/receive lines somewhere along the chain. The problem with troubleshooting is that the errors that resulted from whatever I did didn't manifest themselves in a way that directly pointed to the problem.

I usually had to go through the AxLink device change and painstakingly isolate each device until I found the culprit.

I feel your pain...
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    I'm hoping it's a wire/device problem that I can narrow down. Being that there's only one axlink device, it shouldn't be too hard..

Of course it's crazy that this is the first job where we've actually used real shielded axlink cable..

Kevin D.
    shr00m-dew wrote: »
    I'm hoping it's a wire/device problem that I can narrow down. Being that there's only one axlink device, it shouldn't be too hard..

Of course it's crazy that this is the first job where we've actually used real shielded axlink cable..

Kevin D.

Ha! That'll teach ya!. If you'd just used an old lamp cord and a pair of jumper cables duct taped together we'd not be having this conversation. :D
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Is the NI running the latest firmware? I know one of the previous firmware upgrades (I don't remember which) fixed some Axlink issues.
    Yup. 3.50.430
  • ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Ha! That'll teach ya!. If you'd just used an old lamp cord and a pair of jumper cables duct taped together we'd not be having this conversation. :D

It's funny.. because it's true :P

Wich Device number are you assigning to the Axlink device?
    Does the controller still locks up if you completely disconnect the Axlink cable from the controller?
  • JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    Is the drain wire for the shield connected at both ends?

Or is there someo other type of power drop, 200 feet is not a long distance but maybe there is enough voltage drop. That could be casuing some problems
    JohnMichnr wrote: »

Or is there someo other type of power drop, 200 feet is not a long distance but maybe there is enough voltage drop. That could be casuing some problems

Actually, 200 feet is quite a distance. Depending upon the wire guage, the voltage drop can be several volts. Check you voltage at the far end with the device plugged in and see what you have. It might be pretty low.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584

My understanding has been that the drain should not be connected at both ends, as it can cause a ground loop. Or is that what you are saying, make sure it isn't?
  • JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    My understanding has been that the drain should not be connected at both ends, as it can cause a ground loop. Or is that what you are saying, make sure it isn't?

Yup - I don't know if it really is a ground loop, as the ground connection is connected at both ends, and if it was going to loop that would do it. But my fealing is that you should only drain the shield back to earth at one end.

Unless you are an AES audio guy - they have started landing shield at both ends again...
    Unless you are an AES audio guy - they have started landing shield at both ends again...

I'm and AES audio guy and I do NOT land my shields at both ends! :D

Of course, most these young audio engineers probably don't know what an analog signal is anyway. I just did a session with an audio engineer who didn't know how to mic a drum set. That was discouraging...
    No lock ups in almost 36 hours. Will let it run some more.

RFID is set to device 128, not other axlink devices.

No drain connected on either end. If no lockups after running for 72 hours, I'll move it back on the wire and hook up the drain to the AMX side. Will test end voltage at that time as well.

Thanks,

Kevin D.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    200 feet with good size wire and solid power supply isn't too far, but when you get that far, consider a local power supply and just connect the two AXLINK active signal connections. AXLINK devices fail in many unpredictable ways and times when the power is weak.
  • I am curious on this one as well. We have been hearing of this issue at several sites now and for the life of me I cannot replicate it regularly. I had one of our dealers send me the equipment he was using that would lock it up in "1 or 2 days". It ran 2 months before the Axlink error occurred. Hard to troubleshoot something that takes that long to fail. If anyone has a way/system that will lock up "guaranteed" in a day or two it would go a long way in helping us figure out what is going on. I do not believe it is related to Axlink devices although that may also cause the problem. I say that because most systems I hear that have seen this problem had no Axlink devices connected. In fact, some only have one serial device connected. The one common denominator to all of this <i>appears</i> to be polling rate of devices (ex. polling serial port for data every 150ms). When the polling rate is slowed down the problem <i>appears</i> to go away. Are you using heavy polling?
    rgelling wrote: »
    I do not believe it is related to Axlink devices although that may also cause the problem. I say that because most systems I hear that have seen this problem had no Axlink devices connected.

I honestly don't think it's the axlink device either. That's why I was curious what else could cause this.

[quoe]
    In fact, some only have one serial device connected. The one common denominator to all of this <i>appears</i> to be polling rate of devices (ex. polling serial port for data every 150ms). When the polling rate is slowed down the problem <i>appears</i> to go away. Are you using heavy polling?[/QUOTE]

This 3100 is talking to a vantage system tracking 100 keypads and 180 loads, an Ademco Vista128, and 4 Kaleidescape players via IP. The other RS232 ports are tied to a RTI controller with only 232 in when someone is using a remote.

Vantage and Ademco are using modified modules from AMX, but nothing to effect polling. They send a ping transmission about once a second.

The Vantage could possibly be killing if it someone were to do a few all on/all off commands, but I'm running the same module on a much larger Vantage system with no problems (and that's a one master system with a lot of other stuff). We do have significantly more touchpanels on this job (12), and a all on/all off command would result in a maximum of 360 send_levels being sent to 12 touchpanels.

I'll probably go ahead and change it so that it only does a send_level loop when someone goes to the lighting control page. On that note, if I do a combine_device with a virtual, will the master automatically update the newly combined device?

But I can sit here and do a ton of all on's/all off's and not make it lock up, something they would never do.

Kevin D.
  • I think that problem isn't in the AxLink bus

I have the same problem. Controllers are NI-700, NI-2100, NI-3100. Problem looks like at one moment AxLink queue starts to grow and all hardware ports stopped to work. But... there is no one (!!!) AxLink device connected to the controllers. Connected only RS-485 ports. Time to halt of controllers are different - from 2 hours up to 30 days. But result of halting is 100%.
    The problem starts after changing of firmware for master and NI-device to 3.50.430 and 1.20.7. Before this all work well except of some problems that were resolved by new firmwares.
    Before your message I think that the problem happens only with my devices controlled by AMX. But now I think that problem is with new firmwares.
    Can you send to me protocol for your RS controlled devices? And type of control - RS232 or RS485?
  • When I have lockup problems and the like, I leave Studio open with internal diagnostics turned on. You will usually get some sort of a clue in the log as to what the problem is before the lockup occurs.
  • As to the grounding comments;

Much of the audio world would connect the ground wire to the chassis of the devices at both ends. This is to deal with devices with "Pin 1 Problems" where there is a long and/or less than ideal path inside the device from signal to chassis ground.

I personally beleive that ground lifting is a fix, not an initial system design.
  • At this point I'm going to go ahead and say it was the massive amount of send_levels being sent to all touchpanels (in combination with something else possibly).

I let the system roll with the new changes for a week. Added the RFID reader back at the end of the line and let it roll for another two weeks. No lockup's in that period.

Kevin D.
  • Sounds like you're on the right track. I have noticed that lots of SEND_LEVELs at ONLINE tend to wreak more havoc than button feedbacks.

If you must refresh a bunch of levels at an ONLINE, it's best to create a queue or timeline mechanism to throttle them back a bit.