Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Presentation video and recording

My company is working with a client that has an auditorium (seats about 40) that they use to put on cooking demonstrations and other seminars. They are currently using security cameras for overhead shots. They are looking to put together a plan to upgrade the technology and we are going to be integrating everything. I am looking for recommendations on manufacturers and models that can help them better use the facility.

First, they are not happy with the camera quality. I saw some companies that deal with lighting that fits into more of a conference room setting than a broadcast studio, but I can't recall the manufacturer. Does anyone have suggestions for improving the lighting?

They are also looking to upgrade the cameras. The eventual goal would be to record the presentations and be able to create content for the web and DVDs/BluRays. Can anyone recommend camera models that would be good for display on the large overhead rear projection screen and that would also be good for recorded content?

Continuing down the record video line, can anyone recommend a manufacturer that makes recording gear for audio and video that can be controlled via AMX?

Lastly, what are people using these days to connect a laptop into the above system? Ideally they would prefer wireless as there is no one spot that is dedicated for the presenter to connect a laptop. (Maybe we can change this if it makes more sense)

Thanks for any advice,
Jeff

Comments

• Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Are we talking broadcast quality or commercial quality? HD? Video storage, video on demand?
    Lighting will change depending on the quality they want. They should be 6800K for correct colour balancing etc. Cameras depend on the quality they are after. I use to work on broadcast equipment a few years back so cameras range from a few thousand to 100K+ then there are the lens quality. Audio, I would stay away from room pickup mic's and go with a good quality wireless mic.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Right now, they are setting their sights on creating web content and producing DVDs of seminars and demonstrations. To that end, I was thinking that Final Cut Express (maybe the full version eventually) on a Mac Pro would handle the authoring/editing for them easily enough. So, that is the level we are shooting for. I would like something that provides compatible formats to be used in Final Cut and ideally is easy to access/transfer to the Mac.

The company is exploring this avenue and is going to be doing this in steps, so I am trying to develop a road map and avoid unnecessary equipment changes because we picked gear in step 1 that doesn't work in steps 4 and 5.

As for the mics, they do already have 4 wireless mics with 4 different receivers.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • We use final cut pro here in the office, works great. I was thinking about Sony commercial grade HD cam might be the way to go. A Sony EVIHD1, might fit the bill. I would use a fixed camera mounted in the ceiling for overhead shots. Canon makes good camera's but I don't think they have any control. Audio, we use Lectrosonics across campus. Lighting can make or break you in broadcast, have you considered a lighting engineer to advise you on this? Sorry I haven't been much help, it can be really hard without seeing the building, knowing a budget and meeting with the client to see what their expectations are.