Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

DirecTV Craziness!!!

I'm having the most frustrating time with a DirecTV IR controlled system right now.

It's a simple enough code. Button_event with button array setting off appropriate IR code.

All codes work correctly except Ch Up/Down and all the directionals. If you manually set those codes off or do it from the TP the DTV box goes haywire continually going up or down or left or right depending upon which menu you're in. Changing pulse time does nothing. I've confirmed the program is doing exactly as expected and, again, manually operating the IR channel produces the same results. The IR port is not hanging or emitting too long or even continuouslyh.

This occurs on 5 SAT boxes in the house. I have no other problems on any other systems with DTV (that I know of) I've captured the codes from the remote and that still produces the problem.

Another creepy thing is that it seems to have started recently. (about a month ago) I have not touched this system in over a year. I've reloaded code, firmware. no luck.

any helpful clues???
e

Comments

• a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Didn't you get the memo? They changed their timing on a firmware upgrade recently to make navigation faster from the IR remote.

Here's the tech note:
    http://www.amx.com/techsupport/techNote.asp?id=945??
    Paul
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Oh yeah. I had this issue, too. I had to do a combo of new IR file and "special" placing of the IR emitter. On the new boxes (the sleek looking ones without the physical buttons) I had to move the IR emitter to the far left of the IR window. I only had problems with the DVR boxes, the non-dvrs didn't have any issues. (I forget the model numbers)

The attached IR file is mostly my "old" file + the nav commands from the DirecTV v2 on AMX's website.

Not saying this is the only combination that will work, but it did for me on two different jobs.

Thanks DirecTV!
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    I tried shorter pulses but that didn't work. That tech note sounds pretty definitive, though, maybe I should have tried harder.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Colzie wrote: »
    I tried shorter pulses but that didn't work. That tech note sounds pretty definitive, though, maybe I should have tried harder.

Thanks Paul. I did not see that tech note. That's helpful.

Colzie, I tried pulse times of 1 (100ms) with no luck. I'm going on site tomorrow. Perhaps I'll figure it out. Thanks so much for the new IR file. I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks guys!
    eric
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Try using the 'SP' send_command. Worked for me.
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    Also had this issue. As I wanted the ability to hold the button and not just send one pulse, setting pulse times wasn't my solution.

I ended up finding codes that worked somewhere, I think in an earlier post on this forum... but it looks like a working file was already posted here so I won't post mine.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm sure I've said this before and it's buried somewhere, but it matters (sometimes a lot) how precisely repeating IR codes are captured. You can gt a valid capture of a double pulse, for example, and sometimes even part of a pulse works ... but won't repeat no matter what you do. In both cases, they will work just fine as long as the receiving device isn't fussy, but if it is, you have to recapture it. I'm getting to the point where I only use my IRIS as a last resort; I always look for raw hex codes now.