Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Relay 8 for composite video?

Has anyone every tried to use a relay 8 board for composite video. I have a security system that just needs to switch between two cameras. It would be nice not to need to buy a switcher. I would expect a little loss of resolution, but these cheap cameras today that people buy aren't that good to start with.

Michael

Comments

• PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Just because the original signal doesn't start out the best, doesn't mean it has to be damaged more.

I've had the unfortunate experience of being exposed to similar 'solutions' in the past and any cash you save now is well and truly compensated for with expenditure down the line.

*edit*
    There are plenty of simple two way switcher's on the market the will do what you require very cheaply, most are then just controlled with a relay.
  • micodermicoder Posts: 36
    relay 8 for composite video

Thanks for the reply. You are probably right. I just need to go ahead and get something cheap as possible. I suppose if I have to I could make my own little box. Was just checking to see if anyone had every tried it. I do know that if there were not much in the way of the pcb lines, it would probably work. I have run video around before with and only suffered the slightest top end roll off. It was not even visible on the screen but a frequency response test pattern showed the slight rolloff.

There might even be capacitors on those relay 8 circuits. I have no print, so I don't know.

Michael
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    You can get Atlona and other little accessory switchers on EBAY for $10 most anytime. The ones I am thinking of are component, A-B and Through outs switched by a 12 volt trigger/closure. Lots of variety....
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    For just two camera, a Niles AVS2 is less than a hundred bucks. I've even gotten away with using the audio left/right jacks to switch component with them.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Ha! I was going to go all 'Audio Engineer' on this post; talking about impedence mismatches, line noise and phase problems. But, y'all have already done a nice job of quelching this idea. Good work everyone! :D