Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Strange behavior of RS232

Hi,

I've connected a Denon 2307 AV Receiver to RS232 on a NI-3100 controller. This worked perfect until today. After installing a new version of the application, the controller locked up after sending something to the Denon AV Receiver. I can still connect via telnet but typing in the command "on 5001:8:0,1" doesn't work. The relais doesn't switch on. The controller ignores the panels although the program seems to run. Also the debugger in NS doesn't work. Pulling out the plug from serial 2 and rebooting the controller brings it to live again.

I connected the Denon to a PC and had no problem to control it. So the Denon seems to be ok. Then I connected another serial device to serial port 2 of the controller and had no problem to control it. So the serial device on the controller is ok also. But as soon as I connect the Denon to the Controller, it locks up after sending one short string out. It does not lock up on receiving strings. Tried this with other serial ports of the controller and had the same problem.

I tried also to change the serial cable, but no change. Only the pins 2, 3 and 5 of the cable are wired. I checked also the code, but there are no infinite loops.

Had anybody a similar problem? What else can I check?

Comments

• Sorry for bothering you with that. I found the error. Although I was sure to have no race condition, I had a typo at a variable in a "remove_string" command. This resulted in an infinite loop. Shame on me!
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    a.theofilu wrote: »
    Sorry for bothering you with that. I found the error. Although I was sure to have no race condition, I had a typo at a variable in a "remove_string" command. This resulted in an infinite loop. Shame on me!

Been there, done that. I have driven myself near to insanity on occasion when I made a small change and promptly forgot about it, that turned out to have some brain-dead bug that brought the system to it's knees. You wind up looking everywhere but where you introduced it ...