Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Underground waterproof tv lift?

A client of ours has asked us to install a 65" LED TV several feet from his pool. He wants it to be flush with the pool decking, have it pop up, and swivel 180 degrees. We don't get much rain here but when we do, it floods. Can anyone recommend a starting point on this lift, any drainage tips, water sensors, etc? I was planning on a temp sensor and a water sensor at the minimum.

Comments

• PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    What are your/his thoughts on projection?
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Waterproof LED Tiles or something isn't an option?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    http://www.seura.com/p/products/new&id=8
    Well that link actually says indoor weather proof use but htis linkk says outdoor specifically.
    http://panteltv.com/outdoorproducts.html
    I have no idea where to look for an exterior grade automated mount. That sounds like a one off custom product that you may have to contract with a lift manufacturer you're already familar with to manufacturer. Might be cheaper to build a glass room around the pool. :)
  • Sanyo also makes a out door LCD display. You might want to look at outdoor security P/T mounts for the lift.
  • These guys make outdoor weather resistant TVs too: http://www.sunbritetv.com/products.asp
    Largest they have though is currently a 55".

I haven't seen a wet-condition tv lift, but back in my anti-terrorist security days we used to use custom made lifts using hydraulic actuators to raise and lower bullet resistant glass panels. If you use hydraulics, you can mount the electric pump in a remote dry location like the pool equipment room.

-John
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'd be more concerned with the electronics in the TV. Most cabinets are vented, and it probably won't take long for spray and condensation to rot the boards or cause a short ... and you can't really seal them, it will make condensation issues even worse. Lifts and motors are more rugged and they have such things designed for outdoor use.

The last outdoor system I did was a projector, and we just put it on a mount that could be easily removed to bring it inside when not in use. That's not real practical for a panel type set though.
  • Sanyo CE52LH1R. The hard part will be the riser. I think it will have to be a custom job, I'd use an outdoor sealed motor drive with gears and hard kill travel switches for the lift and an outdoor P/T head for the rest of it.
  • We have found a company that will weatherproof the samsung LEDs, which is what the client HAS to have. He will not settle for anything less. I like the idea of hydraulics - less stuff at the lift means less noise, too! Biggest problem will be keeping water out of the lift when closed. We r in las vegas so we don't get mug rain, but when we get it here, it pours rift off the roof and directly on top of where he wants the lift!!!yay for custom one-off jobs that take forever and require a ton of service. Gotta get this right the first time!
  • Have you thought about adding a small sump pump inside the box to remove any water that might enter?