Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

G3-G4

I am just wondering if anyone else is noticing the G4 panels don't seem as robust as the G3 panels. I have had to replace several back lights, CF's, etc vs have count on my fingers the number of G3 panels that I ever sent out. I am trying to see if this is a local issue(power, users, etc) or larger.

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    I think your sense is accurate. But I think it's to be expected... the G3 technology used far far far fewer parts to do far less functionality. I have a hand calculator from 1987 that still works flawlessly, but most of my company's 6 year old laptop computers have have had some failures already.
  • Things like the back light failure rate should remain the same or improve. I agree there are more things to go wrong with the G4 panels. I also find the newer panels run warmer than the older panels, so I am wondering if some of this failure is thermal related?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I had a customer complaining to me once why I seemed (emphasis on the word "seemed," I was there a fair bit less than he perceived) to be at his house at least twice a week with various service issues. I had to point out to him that he had $2M+ of equipment: 2 separate multi-room audio systems, 4 theaters, a half-dozen stand-alone TVs, 12TB of MAX storage, more than a score of DirectTV and Dishnet boxes; and full HVAC, CCTV, and lighting controls in a 32K sq. ft. estate ... to say nothing of all the support equipment, like network switches and WAPs; in short, there was a lot of stuff in there. Take the normal breakdown of components, and add that level of complexity, then multiple by system interactions (one thing not working because another failed), and you get a system that needs a fair amount of babysitting.

That's one definite factor. Older stuff is just less complex and therefore less likely to break down ... and sometimes a component may fail and you never notice it until enough fails that something you use more regularly also dies.

But I have to say, I have yet to see a manufacturer that made a strong start not begin to suffer with quality control as it gained a better market share. Normal streamlining of operations can cause this ... efficiency and cost effectiveness contend with quality control in any operation. It's a fine balancing point, and if you go too far with one, the other suffers. And, I hate to say, it's cheaper to streamline to the point where you create a certain number of duds; it's cheaper to replace those few than gear up to the point where you never create any. Again, it's a balancing act, because if you go too far your reputation suffers, but I think it's impossible to be profitable and never release a product that has any sort of defect. It's even become the defacto standard in software - no one expects any software package to be completely bug free. And all of us know how difficult it is to produce bug-free software; you can take two hours to write the program, and ten to get every little kink out of it. There comes a point where you have to say "good enough," or you will go broke. Even more so, I must think, when you have to retool an assembly line to correct a fault.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    My boss refers to the G3 as the rock solid days. It just worked. He mostly refers to the RF vs. wireless Ethernet when this very issue comes up. Considering I started in the industry six and a half years ago - I haven't dealt very much with the G3 stuff - but do have to say: whenever there's an issue with an old client's touch panel equipment - it's usually just the battery, and even that you can buy off the black market.

The only stuff that I've seen that was a real issue with the G3 stuff was just a design flaw. You know those little tabs for the charger on the bottom of the ViewPoints and how they'd break off? Those have been the only thing I've seen being sent in. At least the client though doesn't have to sit there and fight on docking the damn panel like they do an 8400.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I guess I've worked with them more, but I could rattle off a list of G3 flaws. They were far from perfect, but they were considerably more durable than most G4 offerings. That said, I still think the technical advances of G4 make up for most of the durability shortcomings ... most :).
  • G3-G4

Remember how long it took to load a large G3 panel file through Axlink? :(

I sure hope that "Ethernet" data transport catches on. :)

Time to fire up my 286 PC with 300 baud modem connected to the AMX BBS. ;)
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Haha! You know . . . in terms of reliability he meant. I didn't say I shared his feelings though on that, I think WiFi & Ethernet are just fine. But yeah - loading up the panels ARE panel. Not to mention TPD3 - ouch!
  • i am not saying the G3 didn't have issues and took forever to load and lets not even talk about how it is impossible to load a B/W G3 panel using Studio. I am just seeing a lot more G4 panels going in for repairs for stuff like back lights. Quality of image, load speed are 100x better than G3 could ever be.
    P.S. Axlink maybe slow but dam it is rock solid. In 15 years + of using AMX I only ever saw a handful of axlink issues and they were caused by installers not wiring them up properly.
  • Progress has its speed bumps.

Thomas, I am with you on the reliability of Axlink. ;) Perhaps that is why it is still around for low data rate connections where speed does not matter. It has taken what seems forever to get WiFi Ethernet control devices to be stable and reliable, but we are still at the mercy of the data network we may or may not control. The question becomes is working with standards better than a proprietary scheme.

All-in-all, I believe the benefits outweigh the issues, especially for remote access to systems.

The new MVP-9000i panel features LED backlighting which should eliminate the failures you have experienced. The option for an 802.11a WiFi connection, diversity antenna, and wired connection when docked should help tremdously to keep the panel online.

The new AMX PDU (Power Distribution Unit) has an integrated Axlink bus strip leading me to believe it will be around for a long while.
    B_Clements wrote: »
    It has taken what seems forever to get WiFi Ethernet control devices to be stable and reliable, but we are still at the mercy of the data network we may or may not control.

This is why we recommend that all our very large systems include one G3 panel somewhere, if only in the rack room, to be able to manage the system (at least to shut it down!!) WHEN the network is hosed. Because sooner or later, for some period of time, the network will be hosed.
  • Please clarify
    John Nagy wrote: »
    This is why we recommend that all our very large systems include one G3 panel somewhere, if only in the rack room, to be able to manage the system (at least to shut it down!!) WHEN the network is hosed. Because sooner or later, for some period of time, the network will be hosed.

You mean Axlink button panel, correct? G3 touch panels have been discontinued for some time now.

Fault tolerance is a great consideration in any mission critical design and a wired Axlink panel to perform a shutdown is a nice touch.

My experience is that wired G4 panels are extremely reliable today. Network problems are typically user setup errors such as duplicating static IP addresses.
  • We have programmed a touch panel at each tech bench where they can access any room with all the functionality and more of the in room panel. Seems to be working very well for us.
  • B_Clements wrote: »
    Network problems are typically user setup errors such as duplicating static IP addresses.

I wish that was the case. We ended up going to a private network to help eliminate issues. I am our IT departments worst nightmare =) .
  • DHawthorne wrote: »
    I had a customer complaining to me once why I seemed (emphasis on the word "seemed," I was there a fair bit less than he perceived) to be at his house at least twice a week with various service issues.

I mentioned a client in a recent thread who has our AMX stuff in one of his houses and another of his houses with Crëstron. He never sees the Crëstron guys, but is always dealing with me at his other house. I pointed out that the Crëstron gear he's using is like a simple cordless phone with a base and a receiver, and ours is more sophisticated like a laptop on a wireless network. Our stuff can do way more than the other stuff he has, but he always responds "I don't care, I just want it to work when I push the buttons".

I too find the old Viewpoints were pretty solid compared to the "newer" panels. As far as reliability, the old RF boxes and panels were pretty durable, though not very attractive. Now if we could just get that old rock-solid durability and reliability into the new products, we'd be set. I still have panels that for no reason will change their wireless settings so as to not be able to get onto the network.

-John
    B_Clements wrote: »
    You mean Axlink button panel, correct? G3 touch panels have been discontinued for some time now.

I mean G3 touch panels. You can still buy the CP4a if you ask, and we have lots of them and older panels too, and many of our dealers do too. With our system, they are interchangeable with G4 and have nearly all the functionality.

But yes, a button panel or an IR control serves part of the same purpose, but without being able to see rooms and status, it's hard to command a large system from them without panels. The G3 does that and doesn't care if the network is up. A great back door.