Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Something new.

I was wondering if anyone had ideas for new products that would benefit us that AMX might look into producing?
I for one would love a module based switcher that would allow for analog or digital signals coming in to be converted and up-scaled to a RJ-45 type connection with discreet audio out. I know everyone is moving to the digital world but I find that it still not there yet in with respect to the flexibility of analog world.

Comments

• In regards to matrixes, I would be happy with simple AXLink ports on all of the Autopatch switchers.

I would also love to have a Combination of an NI-700/NXV-300 with cursor control and component or HDMI video outputs. Video Inputs and control overlay capabilities would be a plus, but not necessary.

Then we could use a nice 1-way remote to control an on-screen 2-way gui and truly offer a Control4 killer (unfortunately C4 is rampant in these parts to the point that we became dealers so we could stop watching business walk out the door).

I consistently hear that they like the on-screen interface, but hate the limitations of the C4.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Not sure what AMX can do because these two products below, which will be introduced at CEDIA will be a heavy blow to them.

First, URC is coming out with two WiFi enabled handheld remotes, which allows for off-premise downloads:
    http://www.dealerscope.com/article/urc-enters-ip-camera-space-25009046/1

Second, AXM's main competition is coming out with a "clamshell" that snaps over an iPad and adds hard button controls. (Link may be bad because of the childish censorship here on the forums.) If you can't get to it, just do a Google search for Cre$tron iPanel
    http://www.cepro.com/article/exclusive_********_brings_hard_buttons_to_ipad/

Let's do the math for iPanel. $500 iPad + $500 iPanel (which includes the dock) + $100 app = $1100. Now, add up AMX's solution, which does not include hardbuttons, or a dock.

My question is - where is AMX in this realm of things? Personally I think AMX is throwing in the towel on the residential market, and letting you-know-who have it. Their interest in the resi side of things is nill, but that's up to them. You must admit, AMX's customer service, tech support, etc. is the best in the industry - but their product development is way below par. Words that would otherwise be censored on here best describe their development of new things. They're no longer innovative, and instead just follow the leader. If AMX doesn't come out with something amazing here at CEDIA, they're "awesomeness" status drops below RTI's in my opinion and should be grouped with the Harmony Remote.

My hopes are for an R5 remote which would be WiFi enabled. Some touch panels that don't weigh 3.5 pounds and some processors that don't take 5 minutes to start up because they're so dependent on Java. But, I'm a realistic man and don't expect to see any of this; instead I plan to see more plastic commercial products, rotated touch panels that are claimed as "new" and *MAYBE* a new graphics engine which doesn't even compete with anything out on the market except for a Harmony 1000.
  • logitech offers some pretty slick stuff at great prices. I took my office 8400 home to work on a panel design, omg that thing is way to heavy to use for any length of time.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    logitech offers some pretty slick stuff at great prices. I took my office 8400 home to work on a panel design, omg that thing is way to heavy to use for any length of time.
    And to think the 9000i is a pound heavier.
  • jjames wrote: »
    And to think the 9000i is a pound heavier.

Are you joking? that's crazy, way to heavy to carry around.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Are you joking? that's crazy, way to heavy to carry around.
    Gotta think from a marketing perspective. It's like having a gym in your home!
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    I'd love to see an single port serial server (something like Kramer's FC-3ETH, or a wireless version like the FC-8) that connects as a native NetLinx device and behaves the same way as though the port was on an internal device controller. If this was to make market a beefed up processor with minimal local connectivity would be a great accompaniment - sort of a next gen NI-700/900 but in 1U format.

This would allow much more modular and customizable solutions that are capable of utilizing existing, standardised cabling infrastructure and can be expended to suite requirements.