Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Giving away programming software?

I suppose you can DO anything, but whether you are supposed to is the question.

I have an associate (hardware installer who worked on a couple jobs with us). He's a good tech but not working for an AMX dealer. He works for a primarily resi / retail company in town.

He was exposed to AMX on the job I designed. He picked up some AMX gear on eBay and has been playing around with it at home.

Question - officially, are there are limitations on what I (dealer) can give him as a 'non-dealer'? I don't see a problem with firmware but he has asked about programming apps. Can that be 'given out'?. I'll have to download the firmware and give it to him.

I just want to play fair. I'm sure someone from AMX can answer pretty easily.

Comments welcome.

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    The AMX Software is subject to restrictions on distribution described in this License Agreement. AMX Dealer, Distributor, VIP or other AMX authorized entity shall not, and shall not permit any other person to, disclose, display, loan, publish, transfer (whether by sale, assignment, exchange, gift, operation of law or otherwise), license, sublicense, copy, or otherwise disseminate the AMX Software.
    This is part of the agreement you accept when downloading any software / firmware / file from AMX.

Easy answer: no, you cannot give him the software, or even the firmware files without being in violation of the agreement.
  • PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    Thanks jjames - I figured there was something legal somewhere along the line. I guess the only thing I can do for him is to update his firmware. So much for being a nice guy!

Cheers!
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    I've been thinking for a while that I should experiment writing a compiler, and why not write one that targets NetLinx? :/

I can't wait until I get my system done, because anyone can program it with no license restrictions. Lowers the bar, but eliminates issues like these, and because of the language choice, also brings in those who are more competent than most people who go through the vendor-supplied training will ever be.

Sigh, dreams and money :/