Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

CE PRO "iPad Apps"

I was just reading an article in CE Pro about iPad, the furture of resi integration, etc, etc and somewhere later in the mag was an article on the iPad Apps from the top 16 manufacturers from Savant, C restron, TPC (AMX listed near the end), etc. Most apps were very affordable as discussed time and time again here on the forums and I believe C restron "Pro" was the most expensive at $99.99 (standard C = free). Most others were free or $9.99. Towards the end of the company listings I finally found TPC for AMX and much to my suprise it was listed as being free to dealers. Of course I was expecting to go from free to $99.99 for C's pro version, to $14.99, $9.99 and then BAM $xxx.00 from TPC being the only 3 digit costing app and in excess of 5 x the next highest costing app but according to the article it's now free. Ahh, if that were only true.

I'd like to know what most folks, who read the article, would think if the correct cost was listed. Fortunately customer aren't likely to read this and wonder why this "free" app is costing them around $800.00. Now if policies have changed and the app is indeed now free I'd be happy to pass my cost onto the customer. :) Actually that's what I already have to do. :(

Comments

• a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    vining wrote: »
    Now if policies have changed and the app is indeed now free I'd be happy to pass my cost onto the customer. :) Actually that's what I already have to do. :(

I have a feeling the app will be free the same day you start doing all your projects free of charge.
    Paul
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    I have a feeling the app will be free the same day you start doing all your projects free of charge.
    Paul
    While installing gear at zero mark up isn't exactly working for free that's what I often have to do with AMX gear to get into jobs since the BS started. The iPad app is just another area of BS. :) While I believe the app is a very valuable product I just wonder how much more valuable it is over the other apps. I'm sure the other companies worked hard and spent a fair amount of $$ getting their apps released too so how much better is the TPC model over the rest? Since in some areas we're already behind the technology curve does it make sense selling things for more while giving the cutomers less? Although the masters and the programming capability give us an advantage in that area I feel we're falling behind in all the others ever since AMX started acquiring company after company.

Since I'm drifting again, we're also supposed to sell more types of AMX gear so why when AMX owns Matrix audio and Auto Patch why don't we have a good 12 channel distribution amp that's competively priced? They apparently have all the parts and pieces in place but still no amps worth buying or amps that would pair nicely with the auto patch switchers, why? Instead we get stuff we don't need or want but BS mandates us to sell it.
  • The app is free--

You just have to pay if you want it to work..
  • bwestlake wrote: »
    You just have to pay if you want it to work..

Wow..

I do support that the app must be payed, even much since they continue to upgrade it.
    Although ofc that a 3 digit value is highly overpriced, accordingly to the competition.

But that article of CePro can come as a backfire for us, since IF a client cares to actually read that, and thinks that the app is free, and we charge such a value, well... Can become unpleasant very easily.
    Not saying tho that the article is wrong since the app really is for free... It's just a misconception of how to price the app. The pricing should be the entire bundle to put it to work, imo.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    FWIW, I've sold and installed a few iPads now, and have more coming up. Not one customer has complained about the price, and in fact they seem to be shocked that they can have another very functional UI for far less than a new panel costs.
    Paul