Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Firmware upgrade - NI3000

Hi,

I have a couple of the NI3000 units. I use NetLinx and don't necessarily plan to use Cafe Duet. Should I and can I update to the latest firmware or am I stuck on the last non duet version from 2006 ??

Thanks

Ed

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    You can update and you'll get DUET even if you don't use it. You'll get 4 years of improved IP handling, the major reason to update. But you'll lose a LOT of RAM space to the DUET you don't care about. MAYBE too much to run your program in. You'll need to experiment. You can return to the final non-duet if you find you lose too much memory.
  • mushmush Posts: 287
    I have to agree with John.
    The benefits gained with the new firmware far outweigh any memory space loss.
  • License

Do you need a license to upgrade to Duet firmware or is that just for Cafe Duet ?

Thanks

Ed
  • mushmush Posts: 287
    Do you need a license to upgrade to Duet firmware or is that just for Cafe Duet ?

Thanks

Ed

Just for Café Duet
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    You also loose about 3 minutes everytime the controller has to reboot, but I guess you can live with that ;)
  • Code

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

So its a slower response and more memory. Well I don't think I'm using to much, so I'm willing to give it a go. Three minutes boot time is intreasting thou not a major problem as it gets reboot one a year or in a power outage.

Is there any concerns on code IE are there any backwards compatablility issues ?

Can I use duet modules which have been written by others without a license ? And is it worth it or better to stay with NetLinx completely ?

Is ther a way to disable the duet part of the firmware loadup ?

Thanks

Ed
  • Reboot

Hi,

I have stuck the firmware on and so far all is fine. The reboot takes the same amount of time as before only about 30 seconds. Thou the web interface takes a lot longer to load...

Thanks

Ed
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    Good... do a SHOW MEM in telnet to see how much room you have left. Probably lots.
    Also do a SET DUET MEM command, and set it 3 meg (which is the minimum) if you don't plan to use it. It usually defaults to 8 Meg in a new firmware install.

Yes, the java web server is sometimes horribly slow. It can take a full minute or more per page draw. It usually does finish. If you need to use the web server a lot and can spare memory, set duet memory higher than the minimum. It will usually help some.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The Duet portions of the interpreter and the SNAPI router don't load unless you put a Duet module in your project. If you don't have any Duet stuff, the differences are minimal.