Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Remote IPad solution for multi-control unit deployment?

Hello all!
I have a question.

First of all, I work for a university. We plan on implementing AMX control into each of our video conferencing classrooms. Each classroom will have(AMX-wise):
- 1 touch panel
- 1 control unit

We want our Techs/Admins to be able to have an IPad that can access each of the classrooms AMX control units easily and on the fly. The interface for the Tech/Admins ipads would be the same across all classrooms

Now, from what I understand, there are 2 options that I have:
1) Purchase an NXV-300 Virtual touch panel for each classroom and VNC into them from the IPads
or
2) Purchase a TPControl license and upload a .TP4 to each IPad

Here are the Pros and Cons from what I can see for each...

NXV-300 option:
PROS:
- Easy to create a connection list of all our classroom NXV-300 IP addresses and connect to them as we walk into the room.
CONS:
- Some of the class admins might not have enough technical understanding to use/troubleshoot a vnc client
- NXV-300's max supported resolution is 800x480, we want our IPads to use a 1024x768 interface
- The responsiveness of controlling via vnc is less than ideal

TPControl option:
PROS:
- Responsiveness is amazing
- Extremely user-friendly (Click app icon and ur connected)
- 1024x768 resolution
CONS:
- Switching control between classroom control units is not user-friendly (you would have to manually go into settings and change NI-master IP and the Device number each time)

NOW for my question:
Which would you recommend? Or is there something I missed that could get me everything I wanted?

Any input is appreciated ;)

P.S. Also looking to get into that Android TPControl beta. Info on getting into that is also welcome :)

Comments

• a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    myer0244 wrote: »
    CONS:
    - Switching control between classroom control units is not user-friendly (you would have to manually go into settings and change NI-master IP and the Device number each time)

I would think that this could be worked around in code using M2M and then switching in code which master a panel is talking to.
    Paul
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    You might consider posting this in the TP CONTROL topic ... not that they are entirely likely to miss it here, but there's a specific area for them.

I know they have been discussing ways to make it easier to address their solution, including some kind of menu driven set of profiles. You might ask them about it. Sounds like you are prepared to spend some money, and revenue can have an effect on priorities.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    Each classroom will have(AMX-wise):
    - 1 touch panel
    - 1 control unit

We want our Techs/Admins to be able to have an IPad that can access each of the classrooms AMX control units easily and on the fly. The interface for the Tech/Admins ipads would be the same across all classrooms

Now, from what I understand, there are 2 options that I have:
    1) Purchase an NXV-300 Virtual touch panel for each classroom and VNC into them from the IPads
    or
    2) Purchase a TPControl license and upload a .TP4 to each IPad

A third option is to VNC into the room's touchpanel from the iPads.

The drawback is that the tech/admin staff will see exactly what's on the touchpanel in the room and the room users will see anything the tech is doing on that touchpanel.

If tech controls are required that general users shouldn't be accessing, they can always be hidden on a password protected area of the touchpanel in this scenario.
  • a_riot42 wrote: »
    I would think that this could be worked around in code using M2M and then switching in code which master a panel is talking to.
    Paul

Is it possible for 1 master to communicate with another master over IP? Our classrooms are all in different buildings across campus(even some on different subnets) and wont have the ability to connect them via rs232.

If this is so, my setup would looks something like this?

[_IPads_]
    v
    [_ControllerA_]
    |
    |
    | (M2M over IP)
    |
    v
    '''''''''''''|'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''|
    [_ControllerB_] [_ControllerC_] [_ControllerD_]

With the Givens:
    - Each of the IPads TPControl "NI Master IP" settings are set to ControllerA's IP
    - Each IPad has it's own unique Device ID and share a master UI
    - ControllerA is in our main office, while Controller B-D are in their corresponding classrooms.
    - Each of the Controllers B-D have their own individual programs (and UIs with corresponding TP)
    - ControllerA communicates to Controllers B-D via IP (M2M)
    - Controllers B-D do not communicate with eachother

Basically a simple Star Topology.

Does this look accurate?

@Auser
    Don't think I would like to go this route for my setup. We are using Modero 7" TPs due to limited podium/instructor-desk space in the classrooms which has a much smaller resolution than what we are wanting.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    @Auser
    Don't think I would like to go this route for my setup. We are using Modero 7" TPs due to limited podium/instructor-desk space in the classrooms which has a much smaller resolution than what we are wanting.

Then your option of using NXV-300's is out - they have the same maximum resolution as the native res of Modero 7" TPs.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Is it possible for 1 master to communicate with another master over IP? Our classrooms are all in different buildings across campus(even some on different subnets) and wont have the ability to connect them via rs232.
    Sure is. Master-to-Master (aka M2M) is a in-built method of maintaining IP based comms between multiple NI masters. Have a look at Technote 919.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Sure is. Master-to-Master (aka M2M) is a in-built method of maintaining IP based comms between multiple NI masters. Have a look at Technote 919.

The tricky part will bhe bridging the subnets with M2M.
    vining wrote: »
    The tricky part will bhe bridging the subnets with M2M.

Why is that tricky?
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    Why is that tricky?
    Paul
    Well getting M2M to communicate between different networks (LAN addresses) and probably behind different public addresses isn't as easy to do as M2M on the same local network where everything is on the same LAN address/ subnet.
  • Auser wrote: »
    Then your option of using NXV-300's is out - they have the same maximum resolution as the native res of Modero 7" TPs.

Hmm. I thought the Modero 7" had a lower resolution than the NXV-300. I will have to reconsider this option in that case.
    Well getting M2M to communicate between different networks (LAN addresses) and probably behind different public addresses isn't as easy to do as M2M on the same local network where everything is on the same LAN address/ subnet.

You can do M2M over the internet across the globe. Why is a different subnet such a challenge?
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    You can do M2M over the internet across the globe. Why is a different subnet such a challenge?
    Paul
    True but that isn't as easy as setting up M2M on a single local network. Sure with the right equipment you can set up gateway to gateway VPNs or simply forward ports and link the world if that's what you want but for most folks that's a little tricky. Is it as easy as a couple of masters on a single subnet? No way. Can every one accomplish it correctly? No. Can some? Yes. So, "It's a little tricky" not impossible but not easy to do right and reliably either.
    True but that isn't as easy as setting up M2M on a single local network. Sure with the right equipment you can set up gateway to gateway VPNs or simply forward ports and link the world if that's what you want but for most folks that's a little tricky. Is it as easy as a couple of masters on a single subnet? No way. Can every one accomplish it correctly? No. Can some? Yes. So, "It's a little tricky" not impossible but not easy to do right and reliably either.

OK thank goodness. You had me wondering if there was some mystical thing I was missing when it came to M2M across networks, but really its no different than any IP device talking to another across networks.
    Paul
  • jprovanjprovan Posts: 16
    As long as he has firewall authority for the port he is using (i.e. 1319), he can link masters from anywhere to anywhere.