Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

AMX software and MacBooks

Hello,

I'm thinking of switching to a MacBook, and I'm wondering what you Mac users are successfully using as a Windows emulator that provides a trouble-free (!) environment for Studio, IR Edit, TPD3 and 4 etc.

Jeff

Comments

• glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    Jeff,

I'm running Win7 under Parrallels on a MacBook Pro with 4MB of memory. I probably could use some more memory but can't afford it. For the most part there is no problem running anything. Every now and then every thing comes to a halt and a reboot of the entire system resolves the problem. I believe I have everything running from Studio, to TPD4, TPD3, Panel Builder, Panel Preview, KP Design, KP Builder, VA (not that I use it much), PI, IREDIT, TP Control, etc. The only thing that won't work is Landmark but that has nothing to do with the Mac.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    I have separately installed windows under bootcamp, then made that bootcamp partition into a vmware/parallels partition. This way I can use it in parallels or vmware (I bought both) and if it's necessary run it natively in windows.

I've only found the need to run it natively while editing live SVGs. (Spinetix)

For AMX stuff it works fine.

Just don't bloat your windows with unnecessary programs and keep it to a minimum. That way you shouldn't need more than 2GB for your windows installation. (Memory wise)

Just make sure you get a macbook with sufficient memory and a good graphics card.
  • toddttoddt Posts: 28
    I have a MacBook Pro with Windows 7 set up on bootcamp and parallels. Have had a few little quirks where I have had to bootcamp 7 vs. parallels but have been pretty solid. I purchased a usb to serial adaptor from cablestogo and that has worked good with I need serial communication. I just did some programing updates to an old Axcess system and tp3 panel just last week and had no problems. More of us need to move to Mac and force AMX to release Mac versions of there software!!! ;o)
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I have a MAC Book Pro and a MAC Pro and I run windows XP on both using bootcamp. I have parrellels on both but rarely use it, don't care for it. Of course that was 2 years ago when I first set these up and maybe now it's better.

Normal boot up is always windows unless I decide to boot up in MAC then I hold down the "option" key. I don't like MAC but it is handy to have especially when you have to setup a customer's MAC to do something. I can practice on my MAC so I don't look like such an idiot when I'm working with theirs. Otherwise I'm somewhat of a MAC hater and using these MACs has only solidified that hate. Yes, I know hate is a bit harsh but MAC users have no problem hating PCs with out just cause. :)
  • "Hate" is a strong word, but if you're going to use it, the computer world is an appropriate place!

We've added Savant to our lineup (using for smaller jobs where we would have spec'd C*tron) and so now I have a MacBook for that, plus my old PC laptop for everything else. It just seems to make sense to consolidate.

Thanks a ton for the advice.
  • toddttoddt Posts: 28
    I have been a PC guy for years. Built my own systems and so on. Now that I have drank the Coolaid of Mac. I will never go back to Windows. I hate having to boot into window for AMX and other softwares that I need. However, Windows 7 under Parallels runs just fine with most of the AMX programs. I hate 7 due to the fact that Microsoft has tried to dummy proof their software so much, that someone that knows what they are doing has a hard time to change stuff.
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    Apple doesn't capitalize MAC, but so many people still do this - any idea why? When I see MAC I think Media Access Control...

"PC guy" is different from "Windows guy." Depending on your definition of PC (EFI + bios emulation counts? EFI alone counts?), Macs are PCs now.

I'm a "PC guy" but the only place Windows is used in my life is at work. At home, I run Gentoo Linux. Still need to see if AMX's software will run on Wine, just haven't had time to get around to it.