Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Looking for a 48 Ports Ethernet siwtch with POE

I am looking for 48 ports Ethernet switch with POE, in the system, we will have 10 access points connect to it and will have AMX system as well, what brand and model I should look for? Also i am looking for the cisco aironet access point, what model I should get,any suggestion will help, Thanks.

Comments

• truetrue Posts: 307
    If you are planning to use Cisco WAPs, you may want to look at their switch lineup.

We have used Netgear GS724Tx switches with great success. I use two GS724TR in my home. The GS748TP is a 48port webmanaged yet affordable PoE gigabit switch.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    Remember that POE x 48 is a lot of power. You pay a lot for a unit that can supply that in one box. Several smaller switches and/or local injectors may not only save some money, they will provide localized power zones so you won't typically lose the entire system at once.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    I agree with Johny, if you go for a 48 port POE switch you're asking for problems, if it has one fault you'll have to return the entire unit and you leave a gaping hole in your install, several smaller units would work better. (localized as well, if possible)
    I disagree - if you go with seperate pieces you have more parts to fail, and usually larger quality PoE switches are fairly reliable. Also, if your switch dies, you're out anyway.

Some may talk about "well, some of the system should be up" so should we use 5-port desktop switches everywhere? Even though MTBF of each one is lower than the large PoE switch, and gives more parts for chances of failure? Should we use injectors so when the network goes down, at least the devices still have power to do nothing?

You didn't post requirements for availability. If that is a concern, set up a better switch.
  • Switch

Hello everyone, from personal experience I recomend Cisco 6509, those switches have the huge power supplys and are well managed. Now the problem with those is cost, each switch is around 100000 plus power supplys and in line power blades. I know cisco makes a small 6500 switch but is not going to be enough since the touch panels require more current on start up.
  • josefino wrote: »
    Hello everyone, from personal experience I recomend Cisco 6509, those switches have the huge power supplys and are well managed. Now the problem with those is cost, each switch is around 100000 plus power supplys and in line power blades. I know cisco makes a small 6500 switch but is not going to be enough since the touch panels require more current on start up.

Wish I could find customers willing to spend $100K on a network switch ;)
  • yanbinyanbin Posts: 86
    I do not need all 48 ports for POE, i think I only need less than 12 ports for POE, so should I get a 24 ports POE and a 24 port none POE? or 48 ports POE in 1 piece?
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    Price them and I think you'll need no help deciding.
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I like HP Procurve switches. They are great. Offer unlimited lifetime software updates and lifetime warranty which Cisco certainly doesn't do without service contracts. I have some on a 10+ year installation that have been on and running without a single failure. They are also priced in a good range.

Ryan
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    true wrote: »
    I disagree - if you go with seperate pieces you have more parts to fail, and usually larger quality PoE switches are fairly reliable. Also, if your switch dies, you're out anyway.

How high are the chances of multiple units failing compared to one?

If you have multiple of those it's also easier to keep them in stock considering you generally don't have a 48 POE switch in stock. Smaller ones are easier to replace, be it temporarily or not.

48 POE Switch fails, 2 weeks before you get a new one. House down for 2 weeks? You can't have that. Of course this is a scenario that is unlikely to happen, but if it will it's going to cost you a pleased client.
    true wrote: »
    Some may talk about "well, some of the system should be up" so should we use 5-port desktop switches everywhere? Even though MTBF of each one is lower than the large PoE switch, and gives more parts for chances of failure? Should we use injectors so when the network goes down, at least the devices still have power to do nothing?

No. But you can easily replace a few 8-port local switches as you are more likely to have those in stock than the larger ones. You don't need injectors if you use POE switches. If one of the units fails it'll be a drive in and back out for your technicians.

A "ma'am a device has shown failure, we will replace it tomorrow. Tonight you won't be able to watch TV and control the TV room."

vs

A "ma'am a device has shown failure, we have send in the device. We expect to have a replacement within x days. During this time you won't be able to control or use anything electric in the house."

Imo the new AMX network gear deserves a try, they have new 8-ports POE Gigabit switches.

Again these scenarios are really unlikely, but you don't want it happening on you. Room management is also a bit easier with separate switches.

Big + for the HP Service btw.
    Nerieru wrote: »
    How high are the chances of multiple units failing compared to one?
    If one unit has a MTBF of 10 years and two units have an MTBF each of 10 years, there is about 50% chance that one of the two units will fail. Considerations for specific part lines need to be taken into account but this is generally true.
    If you have multiple of those it's also easier to keep them in stock considering you generally don't have a 48 POE switch in stock. Smaller ones are easier to replace, be it temporarily or not.

48 POE Switch fails, 2 weeks before you get a new one. House down for 2 weeks? You can't have that. Of course this is a scenario that is unlikely to happen, but if it will it's going to cost you a pleased client.
    This is a consideration. If you really think a switch is going to fail, include the cost of a second switch in the bid. Most companies won't do this.

If the PoE 24-port goes down, you're still down. If it's worth $500 (on the low end of decent switches) to NOT just get a 48-port and get a second 24-port and have double the chance of failure, that's your decision. It really depends on the job, the scope, the target (residential / commercial / high profile commercial) and the money.

No. But you can easily replace a few 8-port local switches as you are more likely to have those in stock than the larger ones. You don't need injectors if you use POE switches. If one of the units fails it'll be a drive in and back out for your technicians.
    FWIW, most 8-port switches have far lower MTBF (and I have actually had them fail to know so) than larger rack-mount, actively cooled switches. Think 5 years vs 30.

Re: procurve, great gear. I've used that kit a lot on jobs too, back when I was doing bigger commercial jobs. Solid stuff.
  • yanbinyanbin Posts: 86
    Thanks for all the replies, how about the wireless access points? if I go for the HP Procurve, what kind of wireless access point I should get? thanks again.