Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

American Dynamics

I am trying to connect American dynamics camera to NI4100 controller. Camera is Speed Dome Ultra 8 Programmable Dome Camera and I am using RS422 cable like this:

CAMERA CONTROLER
Rx+ Tx+
Rx- Tx-
Tx+ Rx+
Tx- Rx-

Also, I have set baud rate to 4800 like this

SEND_COMMAND 5001:1:1,”’SET BAUD 4800,N,8,1 485 DISABLE’”

I don’t have any communication.

Any idea?

Comments

• HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    First thing to try is reversing the "polarity" on the transmit and receive. Note that the RS422 standard does not define polarity -- polarity is assigned by the device manufacturer and it is arbitrary. see this for a discussion:http://www.patton.com/support/technote.asp?id=693

This may solve your problem. When using a Sony EVID-70 camera (for example) AMX TX+ is connected to Sony RX-. Perhaps your camera follows the same polarity convention as Sony, and opposite the AMX convention.

The other thing to watch out for is that the installers followed the proper pin convention on whichever connector you are using. Pin assignments for one of the two-port cards are not at all the same as pin assignments on one of the serial ports with a DB9 connector.

If all else fails you can try connecting RX to RX and TX to TX. There will be two polarity possibilities there also.
  • VladaPUBVladaPUB Posts: 139
    I have test this, no news :(
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    That's all I know about RS422. We have a number of installations with Sony Evid-70 cameras installed with RS422 -- one using an Axcent 3 -- and they all work. The only problem we ever had was with the polarity thing. Oh, with the Evid cameras there are a couple slide switches on the camera that have to be set properly, but I have no idea about the camera that you are using. Are there any switches or camera installation issues? Otherwise it comes down to the same old serial port things to check -- proper baud rate, proper wiring, RXON and the like. Looks to me like the baud command is proper, if that's the correct rate. I couldn't get the manuals from the mfrs website without signing up so I haven't looked at the camera doc.