Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware Feature Requests

VNC Server - iThing

Saw a request over in one of the other forums; thought I would add a thread here in Feature Request; I use VNC all the time to get installations up and running.

It would be very nice to have the capability to VNC to an iThing to test buttons on TPControl.

This will be exploited greatly when the Sonance iPort in-wall mounts for the iPad become more prevalent.

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I imagine that would have to be another app altogether. I saw several VNC apps in the app store, but most are clients. One promising one (Zinger-Soft iSSH-SSH VNC Console) was not free, but my Demo iPad is on my bosses account, and I am hesitant to spend his money to try something out :).
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I imagine that would have to be another app altogether. I saw several VNC apps in the app store, but most are clients. One promising one (Zinger-Soft iSSH-SSH VNC Console) was not free, but my Demo iPad is on my bosses account, and I am hesitant to spend his money to try something out :).

That app you point out is a client, not a VNC server anyway. I just loaded that app and it is a great TELNET tool, I'm glad to have it now for NetLinx diagnostics.

With the current iThing architecture, a VNC server will be useless, as it must by definition be resident with another app to have any purpose at all. Since that's impossible, the only thing you could use on your iThing when the VNC server was running would be ... the VNC server. Pointless.

Embedding a VNC server inside TPCONTROL would be the only way to make this work. And that's a big bite.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    John Nagy wrote: »
    That app you point out is a client, not a VNC server anyway. I just loaded that app and it is a great TELNET tool, I'm glad to have it now for NetLinx diagnostics.

With the current iThing architecture, a VNC server will be useless, as it must by definition be resident with another app to have any purpose at all. Since that's impossible, the only thing you could use on your iThing when the VNC server was running would be ... the VNC server. Pointless.

Embedding a VNC server inside TPCONTROL would be the only way to make this work. And that's a big bite.
    100% correct!

You might like Network Ping Lite and IP Network Scanner Lite too for handy iPad tools.

Mocha VNC Lite (client) is good for a free app and I beleive the iSSH - SSH / VNC console is only $4.99 or something. I bought thinking it was a server but read the discription too fast. I then went duh!, realizing this couldn't work for the reasons John indicated above. I basically said the same thing in the other thread, just not as intelligently.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    OK, you got me spending more with Apple. Ping Lite is indeed nice, but iNet Light and Pro rock bigtime. The network scan and report is remarkable. Identifies all the devices connected and what ports are open, in detail. For 99 cents. Cool.

Mocha VNC works, but is pale next to iTeleport for use with AMX panels especially.