Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Physical Devices falling offline on startup

I'm having an issue where the cards in my NI4100 and a couple of ICSNET expansion boxes are not seen by the processor after boot up.

This doesn't happen every time though. It seems to usually resolve itself with a reboot but that's not good.

I know that I've been trying to jocky around start up code to get things smoothed out but could too much of a load on startup cause this symptom?

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I found this to be the case on a lot of the 4100 systems I do.

I've actually never gotten much help with it so I wrote a little workaround for it.

The basic thing is check for all the devices at startup. If they don't show up, reboot the master. I keep a count in a persistent variable and will keep trying reboot up to three times. If they don't show up after that, it reboots a fourth time, stays up so the rest of the system will stay up and emails/text messages me that something is seriously wrong.

I've never had one of them go over 1 reboot. They almost always come on after the single reboot.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've seen it with 4100's as well. My solution is lazier than Eric's ... I just run a Telnet session after uploading, then issue a "show system" command to make sure everything is online. It's mainly expansion cards that I have had not come up, but as Eric says, one reboot has always got them back.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I've seen it with 4100's as well. My solution is lazier than Eric's ... I just run a Telnet session after uploading, then issue a "show system" command to make sure everything is online. It's mainly expansion cards that I have had not come up, but as Eric says, one reboot has always got them back.

I dare say that I'd win the lazy contest here Dave. After all, I don't even log in afterward. At least you bother to look afterward... :D
  • Options
    hmmm.....well that wasn't exactly the answer I was expecting. But thank you for reassuring me that it's not really something I'm doing.

I will see which work around works best for me.

Jimi
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    sphere27 wrote: »
    I know that I've been trying to jocky around start up code to get things smoothed out but could too much of a load on startup cause this symptom?

I have consistently found this to be the case. Delaying the execution of hefty chunks of code that run at startup such as reading in and parsing config files (by around 30 seconds from memory) has always resolved the issue for me.

The issue seems limited to ICSNET/4100 card slot devices - I've never seen it affect AXLINK or Ethernet devices.