Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

R4 washed out / losing color

I've only noticed this at one job, however a tech has reported this on two jobs. The one I saw, the color of screen of the R4 was way off. Getting into the setup pages and going through the color test confirmed that something was definitely wrong. One of our tech's said he saw it on one R4 and after rebooting it said it corrected itself. He claimed it just looked really washed out.

I know for sure that one was running OLD firmware (pre-Pro), and the two others were newer. Our tech was wondering if it had something to do with the firmware - I think it is very unlikely, but I'd thought I would just throw it out there.

Has anyone seen any issues with the color / gamma on the R4s? If so, did the screen eventually die, remain discolored, washed, etc?

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I've had quite a few R4s though my hands. Never saw that.

Contact tech support...... if you can.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I would be more inclined to suspect hardware than firmware.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I would be more inclined to suspect hardware than firmware.

Me too . . . just wanted to cover ALL of my bases.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    jjames wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any issues with the color / gamma on the R4s? If so, did the screen eventually die, remain discolored, washed, etc?

Yes, definitely. I have two R4's at home, one of which was from an early production run which displays this behaviour. I had hoped to dig up the (in depth) notes and photos I sent to TS about my unit when I returned it for repair before I posted but I haven't had a chance. I started another thread on here somewhere about that unit.

In addition to gamma going out, the contrast sometimes goes up really high and the screen can become vertically misaligned by a few pixels after which it tends to reboot.

It never faults when on the cradle, only when it is woken up while off charge. It definitely doesn't fault as often on the latest firmware, but it's still annoying. TS told me that they couldn't fault it, so I just have to live with it. Unless someone wants to buy an R4 in as new condition?