Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

How about an Inspired Signage thread?

If we had an IS thread, we could keep IS issues together and out of this "General Discussion" page!

That said, does anyone know anything about the VIDEO specs for playback of video files on the SPX-1000. If you try to import some video files, it rejects it and points you to the IS website - which has no info.

I'm just doing some experimenting at this point - some AVI files work, others don't and I can't figure out what they are looking for.

Anyone have any video spec info?

Comments

• Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    PyroGuy wrote: »
    That said, does anyone know anything about the VIDEO specs for playback of video files on the SPX-1000. If you try to import some video files, it rejects it and points you to the IS website - which has no info.

I'm not entirely sure what the actual limitations of the player are as I couldn't find any details either.

I've only had a limited amount of time to play around with one of the units. In doing so I found that to get the player to play video at acceptable quality at 25 FPS, re-encoding the video with the following settings seemed to be about as good as I could get:

Encoding: MPEG-4 (Quicktime .MOV files work well)
    Resolution: 858x482
    Frame Rate: 25 FPS
    Bitrate: 3500kbps (higher may be possible, however I know this bitrate works with the player at this point)

The software I’ve been using to convert video for the player is Quick Media Converter from http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/
  • Options
    PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    I found this info in the Operation Reference Guide but it is a bit general - "AVI" - some work, some don't so obviously there is more to it than "just AVI" ...

Supported Video File Types
    Supported video codecs Up to SD resolution: MPEG-4 ASP, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, H.264, MJPEG, Microsoft
    VC-1 (Windows Media Video 9)

Supported audio codecs MPEG audio layer 1/2/3 (MP3), ITU G.711, G.722, G.729,PCM, Microsoft WMA,
    Real Audio

Media container formats AVI, WMV/WMA, VOB, AIFF, OGG, WAV

Streaming media protocol MMS, RTSP, RTP, SDP, HTTP; Uni- & multicast
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    PyroGuy wrote: »
    I found this info in the Operation Reference Guide but it is a bit general - "AVI" - some work, some don't so obviously there is more to it than "just AVI" ...

AVI is a "container format", not a type of video and/or audio encoding. The audio and video payload they contain can be encoded in just about any format.

The Wikipedia entry for the AVI file format lists the following formats as examples, but this is by no means an exhaustive list:
    An AVI file may carry audio/visual data inside the chunks in virtually any compression scheme, including Full Frame (Uncompressed), Intel Real Time (Indeo), Cinepak, Motion JPEG, Editable MPEG, VDOWave, ClearVideo / RealVideo, QPEG, and MPEG-4 Video

So you need to know that the video and audio inside the AVI file are encoded in a format supported by the player or be prepared to re-encode the source material.

Even if the format is supported by the player, there are resolution/framerate/bitrate limitations that further limit the content that can be played back as I eluded to in my previous post.