Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

NI Master FTP Read/Write Rights

I’m using Firefox FireFTP when connecting to an NI-3101 for file transfer for a job that I’m connecting to via a VPN.

I can connect to the NI-3101 and view files and I can download files from the NI to my PC. But when I try to upload a file or just rename a file on the NI then I get the following error:

550 Access is denied.

I used FireFTP to connect to one of the NI-700s that’s on the job and I get the same error.

I’m thinking that there must be something with my VPN login (or their ISP) that’s blocking the FTP upload but I want to make sure it’s not something that I might be doing wrong. I’ve never run into this problem before.

So bottom line question, is it possible to configure an NI master for read only access with FTP? I know I can enable/disable FTP access all together but I didn’t know we could set read/write privileges. If we can set read only access how do I change it to read/write?

Thanks.

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    You have very few options in FTP settings in the NetLinx. It's not likely a permissions issue.

Browsers are poor FTP clients, and the NetLinx is a poor FTP host. Together, you can have trouble.

The NetLinx FTP server can't handle any more than one transfer at a time without going offline and giving you the 421 error - maximum connections exceeded. Once that happens, you usually have to reboot to get back in business. It sometimes will clear on its own, but it can take 5 to 10 minutes, and sometimes never clear on its own.

Browsers attempt to make a connection for EACH TASK, and move them in parallel, as many as it can, to be FAST on screen. So if you attempt to move 30 files with a browser, it makes 30 connections and each moves one file, right now. But the NetLinx will not tolerate this.

So instead, use a real live FTP client, and even then, set it to use ONE CONNECTION AT A TIME.

We recommend the free FILEZILLA. It works great. Google it and download it and use it.

DO NOT USE the QUICK CONNECT line, make a site manager entry so you set parameters.
    Filezilla does want a front-slash (/) in the ADVANCED tab for the remote directory path to play nice with NetLinx.
    And on the TRANSFER SETTINGS tab, click the box to limit to 1 CONNECTION.
    You'll be happier.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    I’ve never had any problems with FireFTP. I use it every day but thanks anyway.

What I’m really looking for is an answer to my question.
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    So bottom line question, is it possible to configure an NI master for read only access with FTP? I know I can enable/disable FTP access all together but I didn’t know we could set read/write privileges. If we can set read only access how do I change it to read/write?

You can't. At least not from the web configuration tool, the only thing we have to access the NetLinx services.

Since you can't, your postulated failure reason can't be correct. So something else is wrong... hence my general FTP comments. Sorry if they are of no help in your situation.

I would, however, not rule out a client-side issue that using a robust in a FTP client will at least inform you about in some detail. FileZilla visibly logs the entire transaction - as your preferred client may... thusly

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Response: 220 VxWorks (VxWorks 6.3) FTP server ready
    Command: USER administrator
    Response: 331 Password required
    Command: PASS *****
    Response: 230 User logged in
    Command: SYST
    Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: VxWorks
    Command: FEAT
    Response: 500 Command not recognized
    Command: CWD /
    Response: 250 Changed directory to "doc:user"
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 Current directory is "doc:user"
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 Type set to I, binary mode
    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,201,4,4)
    Command: LIST
    Response: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection
    Response: 226 Transfer complete
    Command: DELE AVROUTE.CSV
    Response: 250 File deleted successfully.
    Command: DELE CT_VERSION.TXT
    Response: 250 File deleted successfully.

[etc.]
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Since you can't, your postulated failure reason can't be correct. So something else is wrong
    So you’re saying it’s not possible to block port 21 for upload from either the ISP or the VPN login rights? That’s my guess as to what’s happening (and is what I stated above) but I really don’t know. This installation is on a yacht and they have some sort of satellite hookup and I’ve had tons of problems just staying connected to them with Netlinx Studio.

I think it’s something on their end that is blocking me from uploading files with FTP. I just wanted to rule out that there is no way for Netlinx to be configured to allow download (read) but deny upload (write.)
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I think it’s something on their end that is blocking me from uploading files with FTP. I just wanted to rule out that there is no way for Netlinx to be configured to allow download (read) but deny upload (write.)

Any weird characters in the file names?
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    Paul

Oh yeah, like a SPACE for instance. Not allowed by the NetLinx OS, and frequently forgotten by yours truly until rudely reminded by an FTP error. My other frequent folly is trying to FTP a file that is still in EXCEL on my desktop. Can't, the handle is locked. Well, the lock depends on some things including EXCEL version, but frequent.
    So you’re saying it’s not possible to block port 21 for upload from either the ISP or the VPN login rights? That’s my guess as to what’s happening (and is what I stated above) but I really don’t know. This installation is on a yacht and they have some sort of satellite hookup and I’ve had tons of problems just staying connected to them with Netlinx Studio.

Not saying that at all, saying the FTP Server in the NetLinx itself does not allow more complex internal settings like these permissions, so it's something ELSE. Certainly could be rules at the ISP or even router. More likely the bad characters as suggested above though.
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    Nope, test.txt with one line of text – this is a test.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    have you tried ftp-ing using the command-line?

I'm having problems connecting to my controller over the internet, but that's related to active/passive problems...
    Turns out my original thought ended up being correct, it was a permissions issue with the VPN login. Their FTP filtering allowed FTP download but was blocking FTP upload which generated the 550 Access Is Denied error on my side whenever I tried to transfer a file or change a file name on the NI-3101.

They were monitoring traffic as I tried FTP uploads and they couldn’t find any problems on their end at first and I wanted to be certain that AMX hardware couldn’t be pointed to as the culprit which is why I posted the question.

Thanks to all that replied, much appreciated. All’s well that ends well.